masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

Does anyone know what the"Official" World Record is for throwing a snowball?
Last month I threw some down in Florida - yes Florida - in front of several hundred people and 3 film crews.
This is the video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2rDXWwSBs

I know it is not an Olympic event but may be it should be.

:D

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

How about chucking a hockey puck?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 am

Master Masters Athlete

ohfpygmy wrote:
How about chucking a hockey puck?

Puck yeah...
:shock:

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You probably need to go to Guinness World records to record your snowball throw.
I searched the site but didn't find a listing for the "longest snowball throw" so you could be the first.

Here is the link to Guinness world records.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

runandsew wrote:
You probably need to go to Guinness World records to record your snowball throw.
I searched the site but didn't find a listing for the "longest snowball throw" so you could be the first.

Here is the link to Guinness world records.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/default.aspx

For years now I have tried to find out what the record is. I looked at guinness and numerous other sites including searching the internet - nothing. I have been given at least 5 different people in 5 different years that have broken / set a world record for throwing a snowball, but I have been unable to verify any of them as "official".

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think at Guinness, you would have to submit your throw, and if they didn't already have a category for a snowball throw distance record, they would probably make one for you.

There is a submit record link on the site.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

runandsew wrote:
I think at Guinness, you would have to submit your throw, and if they didn't already have a category for a snowball throw distance record, they would probably make one for you.

There is a submit record link on the site.

Thanks.
I'll give it a go but given my previous attempts to get my golf ball world record throw ratified 9 years ago I am not too hopefull.
:)
:(

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Roald,

My name is Bill Oberding and I am a Masters and Senior Olympian. I have the national record in my age group 60-64 in the softball throw. It would be interesting to see how far you could throw a softball. My question to you would be what is the size, mass, and weight of the snow balls you are throwing. That would have to be standarized somehow, to make it fair to all that would attempt your feat. In your video I noticed after your throw your momenum carried you over the line. That would be considered a foul in an official softball throwing contest at a senior meet. Your throw of over 68 meters is indeed impressive. I have thrown a softball over 67 meters as recently as last year. Good luck on claiming your world record. Throw far and stay injury free...........

Bill

Top Top

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Bill O. wrote:
Hi Roald,

My name is Bill Oberding and I am a Masters and Senior Olympian. I have the national record in my age group 60-64 in the softball throw. It would be interesting to see how far you could throw a softball. My question to you would be what is the size, mass, and weight of the snow balls you are throwing. That would have to be standarized somehow, to make it fair to all that would attempt your feat. In your video I noticed after your throw your momenum carried you over the line. That would be considered a foul in an official softball throwing contest at a senior meet. Your throw of over 68 meters is indeed impressive. I have thrown a softball over 67 meters as recently as last year. Good luck on claiming your world record. Throw far and stay injury free...........

Bill

Cheers Bill.

As there seems to be no official record and no officials rules I thought I would make them all up myself- create a size snowball I like, measure from release point etc - there is something to be said for being the first...
:shock: :? 8) :lol: :o :roll: :wink: :) :D

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:49 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello Again Roald,

You have a good approach on making up the rules as you go, as there are none currently. Perhaps you can generate some interest in this event with your enthusiasm. By the way. what is your age, if you don't mind me asking. Good Luck..........

Bill

Top Top

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think you should go for the WR baseball throw of 135.89 m. It's stood for 53 years now.

Top Top
  Profile WWW