masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

I was looking up info about the Outdoor Nationals - says it is Sacramento State at Spanos Sports Complex.

When I google Sacramento State it comes up with "California State University" and the field is called Hornet Stadium. Is this the same place?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

I did a google search too - as it is confusing to those of us who do not live in California. There are 22 campuses of the California State University system. One of them is in Sacramento. One is in San Diego - known as San Diego State University -- one is known as Humbolt State University. My bet is that they use to be state colleges - as opposed to University of California - Berkeley, San Diego etc.
As for the name of the stadium and athletic complex at CSU Sacramento, There is a Hornet Stadium - where the track and field meet will be held - and I believe this is also where the 2004 Olympic Trials were held.
The university has considerable athletic facilities - so maybe they have a name to encompass all of them. The campus map on the university website did not show that.

Top Top

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I believe that Hornet Stadium was renamed after Alex Spanos made his generous contribution toward remodeling the stadium for the Olympic Trials. Perhaps one of the local masters athletes can confirm this. I have competed on this track and it is fast.

Top Top

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Its the same place - Sacramento State, Cal State Sacramento, CSUS - all refer to the same place. The Spanos Sports complex is a general name for the sporting area- Hornet Field/Stadium is where the running/jumping events will be held. It is currently closed because they are converting the football field to turf, but is opening back up soon. I have a meet there in May and I will see if I can bring some pics or vid back.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Cool thanks! I actually did compete there a while ago when the Corporate Nationals were in Sacramento. I remember the track at the time required special spikes - porcelain or something? Maybe doesn't now this was a while ago.

Thanks for the info.

You'd think the USATF website would provide a link to the site.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 am

Master Masters Athlete

Good info Nick, thanks! Would love to see a pic or vid.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Dont count on the pics or vids for now - it looks like I have lost access to my training facility and might be finished with the sport.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Nick, you too?

I haven't seen any updates on the closing of Moffett Field so that god awful soccer field can be built.

Also heard that Sac may not be ready for the nationals. Golden West folks should be in the know.

Top Top

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:22 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Yep me too. The AD at the place I was training decided to make the throwing areas off limit to non student athletes. Going to try to get them to reverse the decision, but I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery. Funny how they can host the Masters nationals and worlds, but allowing a masters hammer thrower to train in this city? Maybe thats what I get for beating all the local college kids.

As far as Sac St. not being ready - I am not sure. I know the Junior Nationals and California Relays(old Modesto Relays) have been move to Sac City, but Sac St still shows home meets on the schedule for this month and next month.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am

Master Masters Athlete

Got word that Moffett isn't dead yet. Dave Swan is still working on it.

And the California Relays were moved cuz they wanted the BIG money to host them at Sac State.

Top Top

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

So is it really possible for nationals not to held at Sac. St.?
If for some reason they cannot hold it because of whatever reason, would they just move it to a nearby facility or could it move to a new location like last year?
Also when would that decision have to be made by in order to allow participants a chance to rearrange plans?
Or is this scenario out of the question and this is just a rumor that has no meat to it?

Top Top