masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Ok, here goes.....I ran track in 9th and 10th grade, winning two consectutive State team titles both years, and individual titles in the 400m and medly races as well. So when I was 14 I ran a 2:12 split time for the 800m leg of the distance medly, and had the school record for the 400m at 57.1, also ran the 200 at 26.1. Long story short, I hated my coach, and I quit after 10th grade, never looked back until recently at age 35. I found out my school record was broken in 2009 and it sparked something inside me. My competitiveness is flarring. I am currently atttending a community college (late I know, had children early), and would love to continue on to a four year school. I have contacted a coach here at a University, but do you think I'm too old to start up again. I am in good shape physcially, but my cardio needs improvement. Any suggestions or comments on how to sneak back into this, a training method I should use? I'm going up to the local high school track to have my husband time me, what times are managable do you think? Thank everyone.

Top Top

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I started at the age of 57 and NEVER RAN TRACK IN MY LIFE.-Go for IT

Top Top

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You can be 60, 70, 80 or 90 and still resume track and field.

That's because we use a clever little trick called age-group competition. You're going up against fellow oldsters!

Every five years, you enter a new group! Life is sweet!

Explore this site, especially the FAQ, to learn more about how to get back in the game. USATF also offers a great primer for geezers at:
http://www.usatfmasters.org/getstarted.htm

Best of luck!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks, although I don't feel like a geezer yet..ha! I will check out this site!

Top Top

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am curious about one thing in your original question. Are you planning to compete as a Masters athlete or to compete in the open category through the University? Coming back as an elite athlete in the open category is a serious challenge but not impossible, I've seen a few in their 40's. Competing as a Masters Athlete is never out of reach. Best of luck in all your endeavours.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I wanted to go on to college for my bachelors, so yes college if I could run for the college in my area (Augustana in Illinois, smaller school). I think I can do it, if I put my mind to it. I'm nervous though. : :?

Top Top

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Don't be nervous, you can compete there. I've thrown hammer unattached in their meets in the past, and did fine among their athletes. And I'm 46.

Top Top

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Age is relative. You could probably beat your high school times within a year or so if you started training again. Lad Pataki competed for West Valley College in California when he was 55 and did very well. Even if you don't compete for a team, you will find plenty of open, masters, and all-comers meets.

Get back into it and have fun!

Tom Fahey M 62

Top Top

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Your potential peaked between 23-33, but you are not far off that age now. If you trained hard at 35 and competed at 36-40, you will perform at best at 95-98% of your lifetime potential had you competed when young. But that's pretty close to an obviously unknown level. You were better at the 800 then the 400, so you if recommitted to that level of intensity, you should be able to run a 2:04 in the 800 in a year and you would improve for another few years, and that would be good enough for most small college programs. In any case, you will be able to enter the masters ranks at 40 and have a whole lot of fun with times in that range.

Top Top

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:12 am

Master Masters Athlete

Never too old, baby!!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top