masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Now that the IAAF have allowed me to change my "Status" back to British there is whole slew of national age records I am going after.
On Saturday I threw at the new UGA track in Athens, GA and despite being just two weeks from my 48th birthday I think I did quite well. I beat all but one thrower: The very talented Mr Chris Hill - oh well.

My series in order was: 66.80m, 65.87m, 67.38m, 68.23m, 68.43m and 69.54m.
All 6 marks beat the existing UK Age Record for a 47 year old and also all 6 throws improved the UK Age Group Record (45-49) too!
By my calculation that means I actually broke 10 UK National Records in a single competition! Does anyone happen to know if that is a record?

This is the throw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfukHpBrWK8

I may not have much run up speed but look at the position I am hitting - my best in years - I think.
:)
Thoughts?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

Two words: Olga Kotelko!

But kudos on your latest records!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 am

Master Masters Athlete

Nice series. But there are quite big differences between runs, throws and vertical and horizontal jumps. Series like this are only possible in the throws and horizontal jumps, a runner has only one chance, sometimes more in big meets with semifinals etcetera. In the vertical jumps after entering a new age group (or other nationality) you maybe have one, two or at most three consecutive jumps that are a record...
I have done 131 high jump competitions in 4 age classes, in 60 meets the bar came at record height (national, European or world) of which 24 were succesful (improvements and equallings). Is that a record, a rarity or an idiotery? In all cases it is a self invented special thing.
But I can beat you! I change nationality to Luxemburgian or Andorran or something like that where they never had a W60 high jumping. I look for a meet where they go up with 3cm per round, I start at 1.00 meter and then go on to 1.45. That last height would be a world record, but the other 15 jumps are a national record! Wow. Or not so wow?!

Top Top
  Profile WWW