masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

In another context referring to drugs I wrote “I am not on to anything.” That was incorrect, I had forgotten the Cortisone shot the doctor recently gave me for my knee. Cortisone I believe is on the WDA list of performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). Now I am not planning to compete in any major international championship but I have a lousy British M70 LJ record I could better on a good day here in a local competition. If I broke the LJ record now I could conceivably be doing so with the help of the cortisone, a PED.

To avoid any hint of cheating, should I or can I apply to WMA for a TUE for the coming six months for the cortisone?

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

I had an injection in march and asked our national anti-doping institution whter or not I should aks for a TUE. The answer was that after six weeks nothing can be detected anymore. Are you planning to do a meet with some drug testing (like the Europeans) than it would be safe to mention it when tested. A full TUE maybe is not necessary, I am not sure.
When it is two months after the injection I should do nothing.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

Anthony, you're a damn good athlete and seem like a good guy too, so I state this with much respect....this goes to show that drug testing in Masters Athletics is not as straightforward as you make it seem. You took a cortisone injection, which can be detected in a drug test. Are you now a cheater? According to statements you've made in the past the answer is "Yes!"

Are you really a cheater. Hell no!!! You've had a medical procedure to enhance your well-being. More power to you.

All the best,
Greg

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 am

GTheo. That was nice of you. I am not exactly spoiled for compliments on this forum.

Actually I have never said drug testing in Masters Athletics is “straightforward.” However, my stand is pretty straightforward - test athletes as much as you can afford and disqualify results for use of PEDs.

I find the TUE business problematic. I took a cortisone injection. If I got a TUE for that everything would formally be OK and I could compete without fearing repercussions. But according to my book everything would still not be OK. Because I would still be using a PED and thus might have a competitive advantage over my fellow athletes. That holds true whether or not athletes apply for a TUE with good intent (the majority of cases), or in order to obtain a competitive advantage (must be a very small minority). Furthermore, there are many athletes (particularly in the throws) among us who are taking PEDs and chancing and competing without bothering to apply for TUEs anyway. With a TUE or without a TUE, competing with a PED is problematic in some way. So do away with TUEs. Just don’t compete with PEDs in your body is my perhaps naive solution. But nobody has yet convinced me otherwise.

I am not a cheater according to the statements I have made in the past. Not until I compete with that Performance Enhancing Drug (PED), cortisone, in my body. It is the competing that makes us potential cheaters. Not the necessary drugs we take. (Anthony, that was brilliant. Applause off.)

On the other hand, I now have the insight that athlete applications for national records should be accompanied by the athlete’s certification that he/she is not taking a substance that is on the WDA prohibited substances list. That is another brilliant idea and I will suggest it to my national records officer.

All the very best GTheo.

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:34 am

Master Masters Athlete

An injection of cortisone is not performance enhancing!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Weia thanks. If you like, my cortisone injection may well not be performance enhancing. Search me.

I received an “Intra-articular injection” of cortisone, which appears to fall under the “Corticotrophins” category. They seem to be subject to this TUE rigmarole. If cortisone is not performance enhancing then why is it on the list? Makes TUEs even more incomprehensible.

Any more advice? A WMA Grand Poobah?

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I know the diuretic HCT is on the list because it is a "masking agent." Masking what? I do not know.

Maybe in my case I need to help me expel the beer I consume!

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am not an expert... They said me 'injections into a joint or tendon have to be told to the national anti-doping agency, for other use of cortisone (into a muscle or artery) a full TUE is necessary'. The first has to be done within 10 days after the injection, the second I do not know..
I did not do actions within 10 days, but as the substance is gone within 6 weeks I leave it. In case of a test in Nyíregyháza I nevertheless will mention it. I have not done competitions within the six weeks, but an injection into a joint isn't a PED anyway.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

GTheo: cheaters try to mask forbidden substances with a cocktail of other substances giving more or less the same chemical signals as the forbidden ones. Diuretics are well known for this, therefore they are on the list. Not because they are PED themselves. When you need diuretics for their real use, you need a TUE when going to a meet with possible drug testing... I know of a woman using diuretics and not having a TUE. At the world's she was not allowed to compete, but after some diplomacy she got a TUE the other day and could continue the championship with other disciplines. She was really upset I can tell you!

Top Top
  Profile WWW