masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am throwing all four events out in Sacramento and I know I can ship the hammer (ball alone), shot, and discus in a box for around $15.00. I however don't know about the javelin. Has anyone shipped one before to a track meet ahead of time (I'm sure some of you definitely have)? If so approximately how much does it cost? Is it worth it to ship or just throw the provided implement seeing as how sometimes I like the feel of strange implements compared to my own? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the advice in advance. I'm sure it'll help me make my decision.

Top Top

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I learned a great lesson last year when I decided to pack my two javelins in a fishing rod case and put them on a plane with me to Oskosh from Florida, The bill was $217.00....ONE WAY! Well, I was stuck with that, but in Oshkosh, I went to the UPS store and shipped them home for about thirty bucks. While there, the UPS clerk told me to next time ship them to a UPS store in the city of the meet. They can help locate one close to your hotel and they will hold it for you at the store for a small fee. Tons better than a $400.00 plus ticket for your Javs. This year, I'm staying with in-laws so I am shipping them to their house. I have to figure out shipping times to get them there for my events. (UPS can help with that too?

Gary Dixon
M52 multis and throws
Sarasota, Florida

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Mike Brown shipped his javelins from Florida to Finland in one of those sturdy circular containers. But from Finland to Florida, he may have snuck his javelins into a pole container made available by a vaulter.

Vaulters are experts at shipping stuff, so you might want to piggyback someone else's shipment, sharing costs.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hmm. I'm going to Sacramento later this month, looking at my carrier it stated oversized things like poles would be $50 each way per item. If you have multiple poles/javelins in one bag I guess the question is do they treat it as one item?

Top Top