masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi I have heard an number of throwers say that they started to take up the hammer throw but stopped because training for that event had an adverse effect on the discus. I got more serious about the hammer a few years ago and my discus has declined.
I'm not sure if it is because I'm trying to keep up with two events or if there is something intrinsic in the hammer form which works against the discus

Any comments?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am

Senior Masters Athlete

The big difference as I see is that in the discus you try to get separation of the upper and lower body in order to get a long pull on the disc. In the hammer you do not want such separation - the body acts more as one unit and the ball accelerates as you counter it.

As far as how they affect each other? I guess that is up to the individual, but I believe it is difficult to be good in all the throws(at the same time). With the exception of discus and rotational shot, the techincal requirements are vastly different(although some of the basic principles are the same).

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am

Master Masters Athlete

The disciplines are different enough not to harm each other, I think. When you have time enough practice them both, but keep them apart in your head.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I hope you keep trying both.

Top Top

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

i do Both and Train Differantly for both along with the shotput and javelin and weight throws, the hammer requires total committment to lunacy whereas the discus requires discipline in your upper body, wish i had more time to spend on all the events but working an on call job and have to be available 24/7 cramps the training ,

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am learning the hammer, shot, and weight. I threw the discus exclusively for most of my track career. My discus is down about 25 feet from a few years ago, due mainly to injury and lack of focus. I find that I try to use my discus technique in the hammer and weight, which doesn't work very well.

Tom Gage, who is an excellent hammer and discus thrower, said that the concepts are completely different. The discus includes a strong linear component, while the hammer is completely rotational. George Mathews, another fine hammer thrower and coach, said that he requires his athletes to complete 10 turns in a row before he will let them throw the hammer. I have trouble doing one turn, so I should do more drills and less throwing.

The brain imprints motor movements much like a computer stores a program. Skilled people have a strong imprint that allows consistent performance. The goal should be to imprint a precise, mechanically correct technique. When that happens, there will be no interference between the throwing events, just like there is no interference between walking and running.

Tom Fahey M60-64

Top Top

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I compete in the discus and hammer. I do pretty good but am not up there with the "real' good throwers. When I started learning the hammer, the biggest problem was you do heel-toe turns for the spins versus the discus where you do toe turns. The hammer turns messed my timing and spinning with the discus so I went with a 3/4 turn for the discus. In essence I face the side of the ring not the back. Kinda gives me a head start into the middle with my right foot so that I can get into the toe turn. After a while and hundreds of throws, the heel-toe
turn for the hammer becomes a reflect reaction. Plus, as mentioned previously,
the hammer is the body moving as as unit versus the torque that you try to get with the discus.

Thrower
(M 60-64)

Top Top

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

I'm currently helping two elderly brothers who are discus throwers.

The younger (brighter) one is coming along just fine. He seems to realize that the discus and hammer are different events.

What really screws you up, is to throw the weight, then the hammer in the same meet. Though, we do it every weekend.

Top Top

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 am

Rev ~ Please say more about the difference between hammer and weight and why throwing them one after the other hurts. I am new at them (old at disc, jav and shot) and practice them together a few times a week. Mistake? Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 am

I have thrown the discus for a very long time and am new at the hammer. While I have found they confound each other -- my discus leg is now a shorter, tighter lever -- bad, except that I foul less -- and I am still inconsistent in keeping my left heel down in the hammer and take too wide a step around. BUT -- my discus throws are actually slightly LONGER this year than last (42m v 41m) even though I am practicing disc much LESS this year. I think in my case that the benefits of the hammer re-teaching me to get physically intense in the circle has offset the technical challenges. My point is that the effect of the hammer on the discus is surely different for different people. I'm M57 by the way.

Top Top

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Well, I was overly optimistic. My discus has declined pretty much as most folks predicted. Still need to find the secret to holding discus form while learning hammer and weight.

Top Top