masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I have a couple of 6K iron hammers that I practice with. If I don't use them every other day they quickly get a light coat of rust. I was looking on the internet at stainless steel hammers and Amber Sporting Goods has a 6K Stainless Steel hammer (shell filled with lead) on sale for $70. Anybody have any experience with this hammer? I am a little leary because I practice on a cow pasture in the Summer months and I have already broken two swivels due to the field being as hard as a rock. I'm afraid that the "Stainless Steel Casing" might crack.

Top Top

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:59 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I don't understand what you think you will gain with a stainless steel hammer. As far as the price goes, $70.00 for a stainless is a good deal but I would save it for competition use only. As far as the rust is concerned, for practice implements, who cares about a little rust? Although you may save a swivel with a little spray lubricant.

I use to throw the hammer at what was known as the rockpile at the University of Northern Colorado. The ground was hard and had a lot of buried concrete fill in it.

In less than a month, my stainless steel hammer took such a beating that it would no longer pass inspection at the large meets. The casing never cracked but it was no longer round and had large dents in it.

Tim Edwards

Top Top

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:33 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'd second Mr. Edwards suggestion. I'd keep the stainlees steel for competition only. I keep a little bottle of 3 in 1 oil with my throwing stuff. During the rainy season it takes all of two minutes to wipe my practice hammers down with a rag and a little oil. Also keeps the swivels from sticking.

Michael V.

Top Top

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the advice. I was going to practice and use it for competitions but if it would get that beat up, I'll just keep the WD-40 handy.

Top Top