masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:19 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I have limited experience in the throws so have never experienced a slippery discus ring as we had in Sacramento. Each time I tried to throw hard, I slipped. Any tips on how to prepare for or cope with this? I wiped my shoes each time on a slightly damp towel and then dried them. It helped a little, but I still slipped on some throws.

Thank you.

Top Top

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

We have a high school ring nearby that is just as slippery as the one at Sacramento. We have a lot of the kids wear a tennis shoe or a throwing shoe that is a bit rougher on their left foot and just the regular throwing shoe on the right foot. This way they are more stable coming out of the back of the ring but still have the acceleration with the right foot in the middle then a more stable surface to block on in the front of the ring with the left foot. It seems to work since spinning on the tennis shoe in that type of ring is just as smooth as with a throwing shoe in a regular ring. That's what we do here but maybe others have a better idea without throwing in a shoe you're not use to throwing in normally. Good luck!!!!!

Top Top

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 am

Master Masters Athlete

These shoes work well for slippery hammer rings, and I should know since 3 of the nearby colleges seemed to have replaced their concrete with ice:

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-samba-classic-black-white

I'm not a discus thrower, but I bet wearing the Samba on your left foot would help when the surface is too slick. Sambas are flat, similar to a throwing shoe, so you don't have a raised heel (like most tennis shoes).

Top Top

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the great tips. I wish there were some alteration I could make to my old shoes. I have already become the Imelda Marcos of masters track and field.

Top Top

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

I wasn't at Sacramento but I have had experience with really slippery rings. Also, I spoke with a very skilled thrower who was at Sacramento and even she mentioned that she had trouble with it.

"Slower" shoes can help some, but nothing helps like getting famiiar with a slippery surface. It might be a good idea to ocassionally practice on a wet ring, or to find a really slippery one in your area to practice on from time to time.

Let this be a "heads up" to anyone planning on attending Worlds next year. We should have time to be prepared for this "ice rink" between now and then.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Nadine,

There is a shoe repair company out of Ohio that will resole throwing shoes. Check out resoles.com.

I've had 6-8 pairs resoled over the years. At last check they had 7 different materials to choose from. I have a pair with tan colored gum rubber soles. Great for slick, wet rings. In Sacramento I used shoes resoled with vibram rubber. I also wiped my shoes with a wet rag before stepping into the ring and they worked just fine. I train in a fast ring so it wasn't much of a stretch.

Michael V.
M50 HT

Top Top

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I loved that ring. When flying once in the hammer, but the faster the better.

Top Top

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for all the great responses. You guys are the best!

One other question: Has anyone ever tried an application of muriatic acid to slightly etch the ring surface? I know a few others prefer slippery rings, but I think most of us are worried about slipping, twisting a knee or falling.

Top Top

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:26 am

Master Masters Athlete

I like basketball shoes for a slippery dry circle. Its good to bring a whole collection of shoes when you go to a meet at an unfamiliar venue and see what works.

Approaching this from the technique point of view you can slow everything down. I tend to start out too fast so sometimes a fast or wet circle results in better throws (just have to keep the discus dry in the rain!)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I threw on the circle the day before my event and found it unacceptably slippery. I complained to the field event manager, who gave me a hard time. Finally, they agreed to clean out the ring. Construction at the adjoining building left a dusty film on the ring. It was much better after they cleaned it.

The attitude of several of the meet organizers was arrogant and unacceptable. I hope they are more accommodating during the world championships.

Tom Fahey
M63

Top Top