Anyone?
Oh and here is the video of it, in case it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?feature=mhee
:D

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 21, 2011 6:38 am

Master Masters Athlete

'ft' is the noise of the javelin flying away??
An easy conversion of throws with different weights is multiplying with the square root of the weight difference, it works remarkably good. Although with a javelin types are not always the same in respect to how they fly etcetera.
In case of 800 and 700 the factors are: 1.0690 and 0.9354, so the conversion gives 69.90m.

Between brackets: please Americans and Brits using imperial measures, do the conversion yourself. You have the advantage of not having to learn second languages as English has become the lingua franca of the world, be so kind to learn the metric system, as lingua franca in science and sports.

Edit: I see I did it the wrong way, it is 79.88 with 700g. Can be better!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Why the anti-American sentiment and constant whining about imperial measurements? If you don't want to do the conversion, then don't respond - simple as that. Or how about just mentioning the formula without the lecture, professor? BTW, RB - nice toss. My guess in 265-270' or roughly 80m, just simply using the 10% rule. Most of us in the track world can do the necessary conversions, usually in our heads, but simply prefer the units that have more meaning to us.

Top Top

Sun May 22, 2011 7:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Throwers know that you can't simply take the % change in the weight of the implement to get an accurate read on the distance one can expect when moving up in age (and down in implement weight). It's far from that simple with many other factors involved. In the javelin it is particularly perilous to create such an expected distance because the aerodynamics of the implement aren't the same. I've heard serious javelin throwers say that to get optimum distance with the 700g implement you need to throw it differently than you throw the 800g implement -- more like the motion with the old rule 800g jav. Many javelin throwers have seen that their distances with the 700g jav are actually shorter than with the 800g implement, even on the same day. Go figure!

Top Top

Wed May 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Jerry Bookin-Weiner wrote:
I've heard serious javelin throwers say that to get optimum distance with the 700g implement you need to throw it differently than you throw the 800g implement -- more like the motion with the old rule 800g jav. Many javelin throwers have seen that their distances with the 700g jav are actually shorter than with the 800g implement, even on the same day. Go figure!

Well I hope I qualify as a "serious" javelin thrower when I say this:
You throw both javelins the same. There is no difference in the throwing mechanics.
Distances are shorter with the 700 g becasue they do not understand the different flight charactestics of the 700g.
Here is what I know for a fact:
4 years ago I threw 66m with a 800g in a comp and then right after threw 78m with a 700g
18 months ago I threw 71m in training with an 800g and then threw 83m with a 700g!!
2 days ago I threw 90m with a 700g in training in perfect conditions 3 days after throwiing 74.73m with an 800g
:)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

I thought you would aim for 80m next year, but going for 90m... Awfully!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu May 26, 2011 4:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

roald62 wrote:
Here is what I know for a fact:
4 years ago I threw 66m with a 800g in a comp and then right after threw 78m with a 700g
18 months ago I threw 71m in training with an 800g and then threw 83m with a 700g!!
2 days ago I threw 90m with a 700g in training in perfect conditions 3 days after throwiing 74.73m with an 800g

These actual conversions are much more accurate than any calculation could provide.

Top Top

Sat May 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

weia wrote:
I thought you would aim for 80m next year, but going for 90m... Awfully!

actually my new target for next year is now the Olympic "B" standard : 79.50m, but what the hell lets make it 80m for giggles -and that is with the 800g!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Don't bet against Roald, at 50 years of age he just might throw a javelin further then any human being on the planet next year, 90 metres isn't out of the question !

Top Top
  Profile WWW