masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from athletics (T&F) for more than 30 years and earlier this summer I took up the high jump again. I'm relatively fit, have been working out regularly since last December, and am approaching my target weight. I've also been writing (and accomplishing) weekly training goals based on study of sport physiology (both general and specific to HJ - where I can find it).

My question is this, what is a reasonable gain in jumping height in 12 months of serious training for someone close 50 years old?

Top Top

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just try... I restarted at age 45, after 1 year I jumped 1.50 (W45) and five years later (W50) topped at 1.57. And then it started to go down, in the mean 1 cm each year. But it's a love for life!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:38 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Yes, trying will be done.

I was able to jump twice in June, once with no practice at all in 30+ years as a test to see how my body would do. The second time was 10 days later and I gained 1cm, though a knowledgeable observer said I cleared the bar by 7cm. I was also told that my technique was good, and it was suggested to other jumpers that they pay attention to all that I was doing correctly. However, that second day jumping resulted in a torn gastrocnemius and so I've not jumped since.

In the mean time I've been plagued by injuries but have managed to continue with strength and core training. At present I'm healthy and looking forward to jumping, my strength levels are increasing reasonably well, and I'll begin explosive power training in another 6-8 weeks. The first competition on my calendar will be in January. It is unfortunate that I do not have regular access to a jumping facility.

I really have no idea what height I'll be jumping at, though I guess I'll be clearing heights above my June efforts. I've not been able to accurately measure my standing vertical jump and so I'm not able to extrapolate from that metric.

Weia, I don't expect to set any records, perhaps you did not either when you started. 1cm gain per year would be pretty good if I could sustain it for five years. At present my goal is to reach the All-American standard for M50, which is 160cm. I've got a ways to go to clear that.

Top Top

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Be careful with the explosive training. Strength is one thing, explosive actions are very different. Choose for a very careful building up, start not really explosive and very very few jumps. Add one jump per session or so. And enjoy!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hello Weia,

Thank you for the reminder. Yes, injury is very likely if I'm not careful. I keep telling myself this but it does not hurt to hear it from others.

Perhaps I should have omitted "explosive" and should have emphasized "begin". What I meant to convey is that I'll taper off on strength gain efforts and "start" to incorporate some box jumps and lifting smaller weights at faster speed.

Of course I am full of enthusiasm and zeal, which is the reason I spent most of the summer with injuries. I need to remember to train intelligently.

Thanks for your perspective.

Top Top

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi Weia and Javier,

I'm also hoping to get back to highjump again this year, at age 47 (female). I tried to come back 2-3 years ago, and ended up with several surgeries (not track-related) but they kept putting a halt to any track dreams. Now I'm back again (dontcha love these old-age stories) and (like everyone else...) injuries keep slowing me down. I'm persistent, though, and will keep plodding through!

If either of you would like to write & communicate about high jump training, please write me at highjumpgirl@gmail.com.

I need advice on where to attend meets this year. I'm in Wilmington NC and also struggle with limited access to a pit.

Not sure at all how to get started competing in Master's. Also need training advice!

Thanks! Jeanne

Top Top

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi HJG,

I won't be able to help much with where to jump in your neck of the woods, NC. But, I'll be happy to share my training; I have been doing a fair bit of study on this an I have hired a coach (USATF level 2). More to follow at your listed e-mail address...

Regards,
JavierS-not

Top Top

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

JavierS-Not,
Keep us posted on your progress....your story is a familiar one (currently being experienced by me as well). Strained my hamstring and calf in my bid to come back to the TJ/LJ. Learned my lesson and I will definitely give myself a proper build up before attempting any jumps again. I've started a training journal to track my progress - "Ace Bond drive to Indy.....". Stop by from time to time and let us know how everything is going. Good Luck and Stay Healthy. See you in Indy!

Masters (M40) personal bests
TJ - 11.97m
LJ - 5.36m
HJ - 1.50m
60m - 7.97s
60m H - 10.98s
200m - 26.70s

Top Top