masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I just received my 1st javelin. I've never thrown before - just thought it would be fun to compete in the Maine senior games (M55-60). Of course I bought the Aussie 2000 700g spear from the jav man so I won't be out much if it turns out I don't like to throw.

I'm having trouble getting the jav to fly straight. Usually comes down with the tip to the left.

It's also landing flat a majority of the time. Sometimes tail first. Every now and again I get lucky and get a straight flight with a legal landing - not often.

So what does it mean if it's landing with the tip to the left most of the time? I know darn well it's not the spears fault.

Thanks

Top Top

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Many possible causes. One is that just before release you twist your hand, and the spear as a result. Another possibility is that you throw more like a discus, sideways.
Not landing on the tip very often is caused by a late release. When the throwing hand is just at the side of the shoulder the release should take place (there the velocity is highest). When you want to give it much speed many throwers still have contact with the jav when it passes the shoulder, resulting in a downward movement of the backside of the javelin.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks. I'll experiment and see what I can do. I'm sure the boys (12 and 9) would love to videotape me in the act.

Top Top