masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi. I am new. I am planning to run a 200m next Saturday, at an indoor meet (200m track). I am writing to request advice. I have not run since 1980 (i.e., 400m and sprint relays in college), and I have forgotten what to do in order to prepare for a sprint race, during the meet, i.e, amount of time to allot before the race for stretching, warm-up sprints, the "whole nine yards." I am a few months shy of 49 years of age; trained earlier this year, after getting my PCPs okay, rather intensely from late April until fading out, some time in mid/late July:

(i.e., 45 - 60 min. daily stretching, 1/2 mile to 1-1/2 runs, "small" fartleks in a park, maybe a month of absurdly light weight training [even then, I hurt my arthritic left shoulder], no track work at all).

I resumed, maybe, about a month ago, with interval striding (60% - 70% effort) at distances roughly ranging from 40 to 110 yards--every 5 or so days. I ran (strides) curves on the track, where the meet will occur, yesterday--about four of them. Bought some spikes today.

Any advice is welcomed. At times, I may not respond to emails for a couple of days or so due to "real world" things, such as family and work--if this happens, please forgive me.

Thank you,

Jim Bruce
Oak Park, IL

Top Top

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I would warm up at least an hour before you compete. Jog at least a 1/2 mile stretch well, do some running drills, 2 x 80m strides, 4 x 50 meter accelerations. Try to run controlled and forget about your competion, but most importantly have fun. Good Luck!

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Great! Thank you for the advice--particularly, the time, the running drills, and running controlled. Thisis great! Thanks, Tony.

Jim

Top Top

Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Make sure to get some short sprints done in your new spikes. Also make sure the length is acceptable. Its sucks to have to change them at the last minute. Lastly, if possible do some warmups (striding or acclerations) on the turn, some on the inside and some on the outside lanes. Run in and out of them. Get yourself acclimated to the turns and banks.

Have Fun,

Aaron Thigpen

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

Jim,

Aaron is The Man. Can't do better than learning from the M40 champ.

For the race itself, my advice is to focus on form. Your speed and stamina will improve over time.

But first things first: Vicious, broad arm action in the first five steps out of the blocks, head down the first 30-40 yards as you concentrate on the "drive phase" of push-push-push against the track.

Then just pick off your competition one-by-one.

Don't look back or to the side. Lean at the tape.

Piece of cake.

Please share a detailed description of your comeback race!

Best of luck Saturday!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Jim Bruce wrote:
Great! Thank you for the advice--particularly, the time, the running drills, and running controlled. Thisis great! Thanks, Tony.

Jim

Your very welcome and good luck, Aaron is a greart resource as well!

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello All,

I ran a 28.64. I'm pleased with the time--first race in 26 years. All of the advice came in handy: Tony, Aaron, and Ken--thank you! This was the most fun I have had in a long time. The race felt real good, especially the sensation of going around that first turn--which was tight (Lane 3)! I petered out, there, towards the end (the track was a kind of rubberized tartan-type surface, 200 meters and turns were not banked). As I came off the last turn, I was tired--but I did not "rig up." No strains, no pulls, no joint pains. It was great--the feeling was incredible. However, I know for sure, I will not touch that 400. Now, onward to Drake or Penn....

Thanks,
Jim

Top Top

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:50 pm

I'm Glad everything worked out and more importantly "YOU HAD FUN" Good going!

Jim Bruce wrote:
Hello All,

I ran a 28.64. I'm pleased with the time--first race in 26 years. All of the advice came in handy: Tony, Aaron, and Ken--thank you! This was the most fun I have had in a long time. The race felt real good, especially the sensation of going around that first turn--which was tight (Lane 3)! I petered out, there, towards the end (the track was a kind of rubberized tartan-type surface, 200 meters and turns were not banked). As I came off the last turn, I was tired--but I did not "rig up." No strains, no pulls, no joint pains. It was great--the feeling was incredible. However, I know for sure, I will not touch that 400. Now, onward to Drake or Penn....

Thanks,
Jim
:D :D :D :D

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Yes! Thank you.

Top Top