masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

In the outdoor pentathlon, are the javelin and the discus used the same ones that are used in high school? Just want to start some planning and training and need to know which ones to practice with.

Top Top

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Implements depend on your age group.

Check out the official specs here:
http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/ ... /app_a.pdf

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:31 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

thanks Ken...now for the question that shows I'm a real novice...do competitors have to bring their own javelin and discus to events like the Master's Outdoor Championship?

Top Top

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Many meets supply extra implements, but I'm not sure about the nationals. In fact, you'll find that many masters will share extra implements with newbies.

If you go shopping for javs and discs, please give Gill Athletics a shot at http://www.gillathletics.com/ -- since they help sponsor this site!

Also, Jeff Watry of Gill Athletics is a masters deca dude, and you want to reward his employer for supporting masters track.

Best of luck, champ.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I appreciate all the help you have given me with your replies...progress has been good. I may even attempt the indoor pentathlon in Boston in March. (I have to see how the hurdle lesson go, though.) What are the order of events for the indoor pentathlon?

Top Top

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:26 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

hurdles, lj, sp, hj, 1000

Top Top

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

thanks hep...those hurdles are still scaring me...I may garner the courage to ask some local track junkie for a short clinic, but I'm not sure about this event -- I may just prepare for outdoors...still undecided and always looking for more info on masters pentathon...

Top Top

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

At the outdoor nationals there are jav's and disc's supplied by the meet. They quality of the disc's and jav's supplied will vary by meet, so good throwers generally bring their own implements. A discus is no problem, but a javelin is sometimes hard to transport. I usually bring my own disc, but borrow a jav from another competitor.

I find the indoor pentathlon to be a bit tougher than the outdoor version. The hurdles is a hard race to do, especially if you only run it once a year at the pent. The high jump is another tough event if you don't have any place to practice it.

In any case, both the outdoor and indoor pentathlon are fun and challenging. The competitors range from serious to beginers, but are generally friendly. There is usually time inbetween events to get to know everyone.

Top Top

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

The problem with borrowing someone else's implement to throw in a meet is that some of the implements can be very expensive.

For example, a carbon fiber javelin can easily cost $700-1000 or more. If a novice throws it incorrectly, it can easily come down on its tail, which will often shatter it! And at almost every meet I've been to, I've seen javelins land tail first and in every other way possible, usually thrown by people who have never thrown one until they get to the meet, or are very inexperienced throwers.

I would suggest before you throw someone's implement you offer to pay for it if you break it, and ask before you throw it how much it cost.

The best thing to do is throw the implements provided by the meet director, or bring your own. The javelins provided by the meet director will go about as far as the expensive ones if thrown correctly, and are better for novice and new throwers as they are more forgiving of incorrect throwing technique and will help these throwers keep from hurting their shoulder or elbow, although bad technique will often result in injury, no matter what javelin you throw.

Top Top

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

For training purposes, I'm tempted to buy a javelin from the Gill Athletics site , but what does 50m, 60m, and 70m mean? In fact any info on the types of javelins would be great...I thought I would just search out 800g javelins and try to shop around, but more questions arose. Since I'm a beginner, I was looking for an inexpensive one while I worked on technique.

http://www.gillathletics.com/gillItem.a ... ch=javelin

Top Top

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

The 50, 60, 70 etc rating on a Javelin has to do with how stiff and "unforgiving" a javelin is. The higher the ranking the stiffer the javelin and generally speaking, the more expensive and difficult to throw correctly. If you are a beginner, then start with the lowest rated javelin, which will be in the 35 to 40 meter range.

With a lower rated javelin you will have less trouble making it hit point first and you will be less likely to injure yourself while throwing it. Once you are consistently throwing farther than the rating on your javelin, then move up to a higher rated one.

The javelin is a difficult event to master, and it is very easy to hurt yourself using incorrect technique. I would suggest getting a video on how to throw the javelin. You don't throw a javelin like you do a baseball or softball, and if you do, its only a matter of time until you have a serious injury.

An excellent site for javelin information is in the Yahoo Groups, and is called the Javelin Discussion Forum ll. Many knowledgeable spear chunkers will be glad to answer any question you have there, and the information is useful. Several former world record holders will often reply to a technique or training question posted.

Top Top

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

1. Javelin Discussion Forum ll has been a great source of info...are there any other sites for the discus or LJ?

2. Are standing starts permitted in the 200m at the USATF Master's Nationals? I'll try to learn to come out of the blocks and see if this improves perfomance anyway, but I just don't want to be caught unprepared.

3. Scoring is a mystery to me...Is there any on line feature that I can plug in anticipated marks to see how many points they would earn?

That's it. (Thanks for any help, direction, feedback.)

Top Top

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Check out "The Throwers Page" and "The Ring". Both very good sites for the throws, but I can't help you with the Long Jump request. Glad you found the Javelin site. The guys there are much more knowledgable than I'll ever be.

I'm still looking for a site with pentathlon tables myself, maybe someone else can help.

Standing starts are allowed in the 200 meters at any meet. Just so long as you are not moving when the gun fires. Standing starts are easier on the body than coming out of starting blocks, too, so less chance of injury.

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Maybe I can help. Masters combined events scoring is based upon open scoring and we are given a percentage factor by which to multiply our marks or times --distances for throws and jumps have a factor greater than 1, and running/hurdling times have a factor less than one. The factors change with the different age groups. So you need 2 things: the open scoring tables and the factor tables.

Open scoring tables can be found at the www.iaaf.org site. On the LH side choose "downloads" then "scoring tables." The article is about 180 pages long with lots of extra information. The actual tables start around page 50. Those will give you the points awarded to different marks based upon open age level scoring.

Then you need to translate those open scores into masters scores for your age group. Go to www.nationalmastersnews.com and look for the USATF pulldown along the top of the home page. Pull down to WMA hurdle and implement specs. I believe appendix G will give you the masters mens and womens factors for the indoor pentathlon.

Very convoluted of course! Be sure to translate your distance event times into decimal equivalents when multiplying by the factor, i.e.: 2 minutes 45 seconds translates into 2.75 for multiplication purposes.

This is the only way I know of getting an idea of how event marks would translate into combined event scores. I'm sure there are tables or books available for purchase. If anyone would know of them please share!

Best of luck preparing for your pentathlon. It's one of my favorite events. I hope to see you in Boston next year.

Liz Palmer W46

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

The Cheshire County Athletic Association has a Multi Event Scoring table online. It can be found at http://www.cheshireaa.com/statistics/CEscoring.htm

Your age graded score will appear in the yellow box.

Thad
M56

Top Top