masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm new to indoor track. I ran a few indoor races last season but now I'm stretching out from the 800m to the Mile or 1500m. How much slower are Mile times on a banked 200m indoor track vs a 400m outdoor track? I'll be running at the NYC Armory which they say is one of the fastest indoor tracks. I'm around 5:01-5:05 outdoor. Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

The usual take on the difference in mile/1500 times indoors vs outdoors is that indoors is slower. Personally I do not find that to be the case but you might look at the American and World records for the 1500/mile times indoors and outdoors to see if there is a difference for your age group.
I train on an indoor track for 5-6 months of the year (once a week) so I am accustomed to the tighter turns and being short and having a short stride, the tighter turns are not a problem for me. That plus the fact that that there is no wind, the temperatures are pretty consistent - no extreme heat, no rain to make the track slick, no running into the wind, etc, my times are usually faster indoors than outdoors.
The Armory track is banked - and a banked track tends to lead to faster times than a flat indoor track. The worst of the indoor tracks are the flat ones that are less than 200meters - there are some of those around! Those are slow indeed. So the short answer is - maybe the indoor track is slower - for long legged, long striding fast folks who do not train on the indoor track.
Give the Armory track a try, it is a really nice track, and on a cold, raw, snowy winter day - there is nothing like running indoors!

Top Top