masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hi

I am wondering what the other master's track athletes do(Train/compete etc) when meets are scarce and there can be months between meets.

Thanks

Top Top

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Depending on your ability level, events, weather, and facilities I might suggest a couple of things. If you are a sprinter or distance runner, you might try a time trial or mock race at an 'odd' distance (ex. sprint a 300, 350, 450 or 500 if you race the 400 meters). If you can get someone faster to pace / challenge you, even better. This might be beneficial once every 2 or 3 weeks as a measurement of your training. Treat that day as a meet day and keep track of PRs! For field events, you might try throwing an odd object for a measurement as your 'mock competition' (such as an old tire or large stone). For the jumps perhaps try jumping with some variation such as a very short approach or off the opposite leg. I've never had any luck (at least psychologically) with a 'mock competition' that was the exact event because I always compared my performance to that of a regular meet. Just my ideas - good luck. :)

Top Top

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Many Division II and III schools let masters athletes compete in their meets. Also, many places around the country have all-comer meets during January and February and during the summer.

I think that simulated meets are excellent ways to prepare for the few masters meets we have later in the spring and summer. This year, I am trying to be more systematic in my throws training. My idea is to have monthly physical fitness tests that will include the snatch, pull-ups, standing long jump, vertical jump, 30 pound rock throw (overhead), 30 meter dash, standing throw with 1.5, 2, and 3 kg discs, and bi-monthly simulated meets. I am also going to try to be more systematic with my training diary (setting up a program weeks in advance and sticking to it).

I also plan bi-weekly filming sessions. I will work on specific technique flaws, film my throws, and evaluate whether I have made improvements.

Physically, I am not the thrower at 59 that I was at 50. Hopefully, a more systematic program will prevent some of the physical deterioration I have experienced over the years. I think all of us could benefit from simulated meets and fitness tests.

Tom Fahey M59 Thrower

Top Top

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Tom
I have a question about weight training-I really just resumed that after many years off-didn't think I would be lifting again but here I am.
Anyway progress has been slow-do you have any suggestions for a mid-50s lifter? days on days off or ways to assess what the best schedule is for making progress.
Many of my fellow competitors in the throws seem to be off-season powerlifters who never stopped-some say they are lifting poundages that I would have been pleased with (and never approached) in my prime-are you still adding poundage in lifts or maintaining or (gulp!) decreasing?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

tql,

I'd like to take a shot at this one, since I've experienced it first hand.

First thing that you should concern yourself with is GPP, general physical preparedness. In other words, getting your body in shape for more strenuous training. This might include total body circuits where you try to strengthen and reacclimate you body to a strength based routine. A circuit should include all the major muscle groups with emphasis on the
posterior chain, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, up through lats and
traps. This should start with moderate weights, even dumbbells to avoid
injury.
After 6-8 weeks, you can begin to work for strength and powerbuilding
but its wise to use a lot of variety in your training. I work with
cleans, snatches, bench, deadlift, squats, jump squats, DB presses,
push presses. The exercises are the key. Listening to you body is the
key. Rest is as important and actual work.

And of course you need to factor in throwing sessions.

Depending on your event the throwing and technique work is the most
important. I'm a shot putter so I tend to throw only 1-2x /week.
Discus and hammer require more attention to technique. So you may
want to throw more and lift less. I lift 3-4 times per week. Never heavy
2 days in a row and I cycle exercises. M-Bench, T- Cleans, W-throw,
Th Squats, etc. No more than 45 min per workout. Low reps (1-3) per
set.

I came back to throwing 5 years ago. I thought I was supposed to
train like I did in college. I thought I had destroyed my shoulder.
But now I think I have it figured out.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Charlie Roll M60 shot put
csr_jr@yahoo.com

Top Top

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with Charlie. I would add that you have to be careful about planning overly ambitious throwing and lifting programs. You still have the muscle memory from your college days. However, you will get hurt if you try to do the same things you did then. I also agree with Charlie's comments about total body fitness and total body lifts.

I know of several athletes who threw over 200 feet when they were young who got hurt when they tried to throw as +50s. They took full effort throws first few workouts and paid the price. Old throwers often have the minds of 23 year olds but seldom have the bodies.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Charles & Tom-I appreciate your input-it seems much easier to get injured or over do it these days-

On another subject-for health reasons I have to lose a few pounds. Any suggestions on how to do this while minimizing loss in strength?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Don't worry about big numbers on the lifts. Mid-50's, you are throwing the 1.5, and 6k for shot and hammer. Fast twitch and speed will make up
for the strength numbers.

I work on the hammer and weight twice a week. Discus and shot, twice a week. Lift Monday through Friday.

Back squat 5 days a week, first thing I do after warmup. Old Bulgarian twist methold. Right now, sets of 10 at 205, I go 175#. Try for 3 sets during the workout.

Big ass rack pulls twice a week. Ladders of 1,2,3reps 15 seconds between
those, wait 45seconds, do another. Right now up to 500.

Mix in hang cleans to push press, maybe power curls, snatch grip deads.
Try to do chins every day. Some weeks, do big dead singles. Start at 85% 1rm and wait 5 minutes, add 10# to failure. Kills me.

Top Top

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm

[quote="PDelis50"]Hi

I am wondering what the other master's track athletes do(Train/compete etc) when meets are scarce and there can be months between meets.

Thanks[/quote]

I still would wonder what track athletes do about the lack of meets (if experienced), I have found due to scheduling, It has been hard for me to get in many meets. For this season, where I live the track schedule so far has not been that accomdating ( like meets on Holdays, mid to late Sunday afternoons etc, or over an hours drive away) and hence I have not been able to compete in it as often as I would like, unlike a suggestion here, I can't see doing simulated meets or competing in college meets.

Again, also think where the US Masters nationals is, in a remote part of Maine (or Hawaii) (I am not trying to be critical of anyone here) but such a location can discourge some from competing.

Any other thoughts or comments ??

Thanks

Top Top

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

Me personally I try and jump in a college meet or two. This is all depending on your ability. Send in a realistic time so you are not in there with the young lighting. And remember why you are there the competition. and getting a good time. If you beat a few young bucks while doing so smile and tell yourself good job.

Top Top

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 am

Master Masters Athlete

If you are not willing to jump into a college meet, drive an hour for a meet, do a simulated meet, then your only other option is to host your own meet or convince someone to host a meet near you.

Top Top

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:45 pm

[quote="bowleggedlouie"]If you are not willing to jump into a college meet, drive an hour for a meet, do a simulated meet, then your only other option is to host your own meet or convince someone to host a meet near you.[/quote]

I do not mind driving an hour to a meet, . what I should have stated is that if a meet is on a Sunday afternoon at 2 or 3 PM, then that can be disruptive. I have in the past, when traveling, have competed in local track meets.

The part that gets hard is where I live there have been only 10 meets (indoor and outdoor) For the ENITRE year within 2 hours of where I live.

which of course begs the questions ( sans the World masters meet) is that does anyone compete from August to December where there would be no fall meets ? Does anyone who runs do road races ? or is just training ? Is that too long of a period not to compete ? just curious on thoughts Thanks

Hosting my own meet, I think would be too much of a challenge.

Top Top