masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I use to run track in high school, I was a pretty good 400-200 meter runner, but 16years and 34 pounds later I want to run again ! I started my comeback by trying to lose weight because I know every pound counts- Does anybody have any inspiratinal stories they can share ? I really want to give myself the best oppurtunity to compete , and at my current weight I don't think I'll fair well on the track ! :lol:

Top Top

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi --what a great decision you've made to get back in shape and compete again. Losing weight will definitely help...it means that you have that much less of a load to pull around the track! I still struggle with my weight. It seems that at my age (46) it takes more and more effort just to maintain and I know it will only get worse! I started training for masters track the last few months of 2005. I was constantly sore, exhausted, and on the verge of quitting the first month. I would come home after evening practice too tired to eat dinner. 6 weeks later I was 10 lbs lighter and the workouts began to get easier. :D

I think my advice would be to realize that it WILL get easier over time, but the first 4 to 6 months are very hard. You've been out of shape for almost 16 years so it will take time to get back into shape. Realize that you need lots of time for conditioning and training and don't push it. Be thankful for each small improvement you make and look forward to getting better and better. Don't lose your enthusiasm, even when your body is screaming at you! Best wishes for your comeback.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Even those lucky enought to be skinny-for-life (like me) find training for a masters comeback to be slow and steady. I like to use this expression: "getting in shape to get into shape."

That's what worked for me.

People remake their bodies all the time -- but it's over time.

Fortunately, masters track goes on forever.

Hang in there, champ.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the words on encouragment, That just motivates me more to shed these pounds. I keep saying if can make my target weight by the first masters meet I have marked on my calendar(May 5) -I'm in !!! thanks Again and wish me luck !!!

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:20 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I found that for me who has a hard time losing weight, the Zone Diet by Barry Sears, PhD is awsome. I see it more as a way of eating long term than a temporary diet. I lost 11 lbs, slowly but surely over close to 3 months. The other key was to be able to run long and slow, 90 minutes or more at 70% or less than my MHR, that is when one really burns fat reserves!

RaleighSki wrote:
Thanks for the words on encouragment, That just motivates me more to shed these pounds. I keep saying if can make my target weight by the first masters meet I have marked on my calendar(May 5) -I'm in !!! thanks Again and wish me luck !!!

Top Top

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am using WW to get my weight down-I am using their online community and I like the tracking capabilities-I think they have a free trial just google weight watchers.
Since I am in the throwing events I want to lose weight but not strength-I a losing very gradually now but am also making gains in weightlifting so this is a good plan for me.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm going to be 55 this year and I'm on the way down from a high
of 205 during the Christmas holidays @ 6' tall. Today I hit 190 and plan to be at 170 by the end of May. During the last 2 weeks I have lost 5 lbs. I was mostly going low carbs but I hit a peak. Now I am not
eating dinner but eat what I want for breakfast and lunch. It is still
pretty low carb. I try to do somekind of workout daily. Tabata's,
weights or bicycling mostly. I'm finding that I need 2 days rest between
Tabata workouts. I was doing deadlifts but have switched to powercleans.
Heavy deadlifts were making my left knee and foot sore.
My goal is a 60 second 400 at 60 years of age. I think under competition,
I might be able to do a 70 right now. I was always a middle distance
guy in high school.

I am counting on a much lower body weight to be the key.

Last edited by rollman on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Lower body can improve your performance as long as you do not loose muscle. Dropping body fat while increasing muscle strength is the way to go.

Top Top

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Amen on that, Coach

Top Top