masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am currently out of shape. I will turn 49 this year, and I am looking towards racing again when I turn 50 since I will be the young pup on the block.
I last ran a 2:05 800 when I was 40, but I was injured.

My problem is I can train at a long slow speed, but when ever I try to get into any speed work, I have trouble with my calf straining.
My (running) doctor said it had to do with flexibility, but also my lower back referring pain to the calf.

I want to return to racing, but am not sure if I should move up the 1500 meters, so I won't have to as intense speed work, or should I move down to the 400 meters so I can do shorter speed work outs, and will only have to push it for 1 lap, instead of the two for the 800.

I am planning to build my base over this next year so I can have a strong base before I turn to speed workouts.
Any advice would help.
Thank you.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:32 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

For what it's worth as a 400m runner/hurdler who started back up after a LONG layoff when I was 51, I've found that cross-training, particularly in the weight room, to be invaluable. Since you're planning on taking your time getting back in shape--a wise decision, I think--I'd suggest you spend a bit of time on general fitness. You're muscle balance will improve and you're general conditioning will help you when it's time to approach a fast 200/400 workout again. Keep us posted!
Bill Pontius
m56 hurdles

Top Top