masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The lifters at the Westside Barbell Club in Columbus, OH do box squats almost exclusively instead of full squats. The motion involves sitting on a low box and settling back on the gluts. The lifter assumes a wide stance and drives up explosively using the gluts and hamstrings. I have tried this exercise using heavy dumbbells, and it seems to be very good for the throws.

Questions:
1. Has anyone had any experience with this exercise?
2. Is it dangerous for the spine?

I have also been doing this exercise with an explosive military press as I stand.

So, if I am crippled and don't show up in Maine or Italy, you know what happened.

Tom Fahey M59 thrower

Top Top

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I've used Louie's principles for many years.
I love box squats.
For me, a bar is more comfortable than heavy dumbells.

I've done them with both heavy and light weights; with a touch and go, and a longer pause.

Obviously proper form is key.

I also use benches and boxes without any weight to teach beginners the proper form.

Mark

Top Top

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Box squats are ok but can cause issues. The first is that you begin to rely on the box to tell you have far to go down instead of training your body how far to go. The other issue is if the weight is heavy when you sit on the box as many people do the weight will jar your spine. This can cause back injuries.

I think it is good for lower weights and teaching how far to squat.

Top Top

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Box Squats are a unique way of activating the posterior chain. As a former cyclist I've tended to rely on my quads to squat and sprint. Since adding just one set of 5 box squats (65% of 1RM) to my routine, I've noticed improvement in my conventional squat, deadlift, sumo deadlift, and hypertrophy in my glutes. A key to avoiding injury with this lift is to use a lighter weight, avoid bouncing off the box, and maintain form.

Top Top

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:17 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Box squats are OK, but not better than full squats. They eliminate the controled descend, which in my mind is just as important in strength building as the explosive upward action. After a while people learn to bounce off or drop with limited control of the movement. I have to do box squats with much higher weight than full squats.
My favorite excercise: full squats with jumps. 4-6 with no interuption. Incredibly effective, but also dangerous. Milan

Top Top

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:24 am

Senior Masters Athlete

[quote="jamrich"]Box squats are OK, but not better than full squats. They eliminate the controled descend, which in my mind is just as important in strength building as the explosive upward action. After a while people learn to bounce off or drop with limited control of the movement. I have to do box squats with much higher weight than full squats.
My favorite excercise: full squats with jumps. 4-6 with no interuption. Incredibly effective, but also dangerous. Milan[/quote]

Every type of squat (i.e. conventional, front, box, etc.) has a particular value. Many lifters use the box squat as an "accessory" or supplement to other lifts. I imagine bouncing defeats the purpose of doing the lift. I was taught by competitive power lifters in the following manner: I have a controlled decent and a wide stance over a 12-18" box. I sit directly on the box, fully stopped, and then come straight up to engage the hips, glutes, hamstrings (rather than pushing forward then up). If you can can do a proper box squat with a weight that is heavier than your conventional squat then I salute you.

Why is your squat jump dangerous? How do you determine the dividing point between incredibly effective and dangerous?

Top Top

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Every type of squat (i.e. conventional, front, box, etc.) has a particular value. Many lifters use the box squat as an "accessory" or supplement to other lifts. I imagine bouncing defeats the purpose of doing the lift. I was taught by competitive power lifters in the following manner: I have a controlled decent and a wide stance over a 12-18" box. I sit directly on the box, fully stopped, and then come straight up to engage the hips, glutes, hamstrings (rather than pushing forward then up). If you can can do a proper box squat with a weight that is heavier than your conventional squat then I salute you.

1. most of the people will bounce of the box
2. as far as the box squats with pause are concerned there is some useful discussion at:

http://www.drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455

Why is your squat jump dangerous? How do you determine the dividing point between incredibly effective and dangerous?[/quote]

Well, controlling the droping weight x of 100-200lbs (from the jump) can be rough on your knees and back. It is easy to make a mistake especially if you are tired. Squats without a jump are generally done slow, more time to control things. The box squats to a pause do not involve the critical fast transition from the eccentric to concentric phase. More details in some Verkhoshansky's papers.

Top Top

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Tom,

I've added the box squat to my routine as well. Actually I use a bench and go down to about 15". I do this with bands in a power rack.

I like it because I'm sure of getting a full range of motion on every
rep and I concentrate on exploding off the bench. Be sure to keep tight.
Go ahead wear a belt and be sure to maintain a good lordotic curve thru
the lift. ( I know the belt issue is controversial)

I use this exercise for less than max poundages 80-85%. 2 reps per set
Good luck.

By the way I enjoy your posts except for the crack about the shot put..

ha ha.

Charlie Roll, M60 shot put

Top Top