masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Many times the rumors abound, especially in the weights that someone may be "using". And when a rumor is around, usually it has a "ring of truth to it"

Why doesn't the USATF make it mandatory that anyone who breaks an american record etc. automatically be tested? I know that it is not practical if it is a local sanctioned meet but at least at the national level meets.

I've seen records broken, and officials take the implement and weigh it immediately, and take out the steel tape etc. The same should be done with testing. After the series is completed, the athelete should be required to submit a sample.

If it means that the entry fee is increased by an extra few dollars to cover the cost, so be it. Lets keep the competition clean and pure .

With regards to levels of competition, I've heard others talk about former world class athletes competing in masters meets. As much as I appreciate that they are still competing, I don't want to be throwing against someone who was an olympian, etc.

I think that Master's Track should recognize these superior athletes with a special category in which they can compete yet not effect the outcome of any age group results. How to implement who qualifies for this special level would need to be discussed further, but I think it should be addressed.

Most of the masters athletes are hard working men and women that compete for the love of the game. They practice when they can and compete on the weekends. For some, it makes the long work week easier to bare, knowing that they will be competing in friendly competition on the weekends. Let's keep it fair for everyone.

Just a few thoughts.

Top Top

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:55 am

Master Masters Athlete

Big difference between master's track meets and being a master. As to your point about former olympians, bring 'em on. I've already competed against some. You want to do your best, you lose, you lose.

I prefer all-comers and open meets to masters. Beating local high school and college kids is a lot of fun. I'm already warning my friendly competitors that I get to throw the 1k in two years. Talk about getting an unfair advantage.

As to drug testing, whatever. Rumors will swirl. Plus, why waste the money for a master's meet?

Top Top

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I would have to agree with rev gj. Most masters athletes do this for fun and health. But we all have a competitive streak in us other wise we probably would not compete. Think of it this way if you try and fail then hey you are just second best to an Olympian. But if you try and win then you got one hell of a story to tell the grand kids!

The story could start like this. Let me tell about the time when I beat the former world record older in the discuss.

Remember a masters athlete works to beat there personal bests. If you beat a few Olympians or college kids along the way then so be it.

Top Top

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I would rather not see drug testing after record throws. It has been a long time goal of mine to throw so far that somebody, somewhere starts a rumor that my results are steroid enhanced. With automatic testing like that, there would be less chance of this happening. In fact, it doesn't matter to me if my competition is hormonally enhanced or not. That's their concern. My job is to learn to throw further than them no matter what.

As to the other point, I agree with the other two. Winning or losing is nowhere near as important as how far I throw. Competing against the best puts my results in perspective, and competing against a better thrower can inspire me to better performances.

Top Top