masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have went into a new age bracket this year (60) AND i CAN THROW THE 1.5 DISCUS FARTHER THAN THE (1). CAN ANYONE TELL BE THE SECRET THE THROWING THE LIGHTER DISCUS?

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Mon May 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I will turn 60 on September 19— 9 days after I throw the 1.5 kg discus in Riccioni. I have been working with the 1 kg discus after my normal workout. When I first started throwing it, I had trouble throwing 170 feet. I learned that if you ride the discus and maximize the radius, you can throw it very far, particularly if you have good separation.

I think a good quality discus is critical. I began throwing a $30 special and the discus turned over on me. I borrowed Dick Hodgkiss's Jurgen Schult discus and threw almost 200 feet (good wind). Also, the 1 kg discus won't go anywhere if you try to arm it. I remember the day that Joe Kashmiri threw the American record. One of the throws in his series was 129 feet because he tried to arm it.

Harmon Brown (former women's national team coach) suggested that I try the no-reverse sling style like the East Germans used. He noted that it is easier to ride the discus than using a reverse. I am a little reluctant to do that because Lars Riedal had 3 or 4 back surgeries using it.

Tom Fahey M59 thrower

Top Top

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello all,

I am new here. I will also turn 60 in September (13th) during the World Championships. I unfortunately won't be there.

I have started throwing the 1kg also. Tom is absolutely right. Trying to arm it will not work well. With this wonderfully light discus it becomes easier to throw badly and still get fair results. It is also a great time to throw a little more relaxed in practice. As you know, we all have a 'comfort zone' when we throw. Stay within your comfort zone at first and just add a little power at a time. As your throws improve, you will love to see it sail much farther and you will want to expand that comfort zone gradually. It will work sooner than you think. Trying to kill it won't work at first. Experiment with getting a long pull.

You will find that the wind is a little more fun to work with. Those thousands of throws you have taken in your life will make it easier for you to adjust. Try releasing the discus at an angle so that it flattens out later in the flight. Releasing horizontally from the hand will only make it slip and land on its side. The only good thing about that is that finally you will be able to find a mark in the field to measure correctly. This small discus may not always fly as nicely as the larger ones unless you have a very good one and you can make it spin.

Enjoy your time on the field.

J.P. Mayer (Canada)

Top Top