masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Both meets are scheduled on the same day July 21. not sure why.. but does anyone know which meet would have more clout/competition?

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:12 am

Senior Masters Athlete

anyone?

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Here's a link to the results from last year's meet at Springfield College the same weekend. It is called The Eastern Regionals. Perhaps someone from USATFNE or Mass Velocity Track Club or even the USATF office (though I wouldn't hold my breath for that) can explain the sanctioning, etc. As for the othe event , the meet listing on this site has Ray Feick as meet director along with his phone number (610-754-6007). I'd give him a call. The USATF calendar directs people to mausatf.org where there may be more info (including 06 results?), but I can't get their server to answer right now

http://www.usatfne.org/track/results/2006eastmast.html

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:20 pm

the 2006 Springfield meet was THE East Regional...Maine to Virginia. Different from an "Association" Championship- "New England" is the name of the Association.

The East Region meet is supposed to be more prestigious, more competition.....but charges $15 more for the first event, has a more stringent entry date (July 1 for a 21st day of competiton, whereas the New England meet you can have your entry received by the 17th and get in on the regular entry fee) and the Springfield meet has an easy to see detailed time schedule on-line, when each age group for each event is going off, whereas I can't find the start times at all for events in the on-line entry for the Stroudsburg meet.

I think Springfield is a decent facility, the Association runs an organized meet, so your decision could come down to if you live closer to one or the other and don't need the "prestige" of beating the best in the northeast...in fact in some events NE might have the best anyway......

but it is a shame there is a scheduling conflict.

Top Top

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks for your responses.

I am actually leaning towards going to springfield (I am smack dab in the middle of the two). i was able to download the entry form and information and plan my trip there easier. Since this is my first year I am more concerned about staying healthy, having fun and ofcourse bettering my new PRs.
I did send an email to Ray Feick about the Regional meet and await his reponse.
Again thank you all for your time.

Top Top

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ray has been competing at the National Senior Games in Louisville this week, which certainly accounts for the lack of an answer yet. He's still competing today.

I too noticed the very unfortunate conflict in the schedules. Often things like that happen because of the availability of facilities for meets -- meet directors have to take what they can get more often than not. While it is summer, many colleges and universities have their facilities rented out or used by their own coaches for all kinds of sports camps for kids almost all summer. Booking a meet, even on a weekend, can be difficult as a result.

Top Top

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:50 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I did hear from Ray and he sent me the entry form. It is rather expensive considering that if I decide to go I will have to pay an extra $15 for getting the entry form in late.
Oh well..

Top Top

Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Momof4,

I hope that you were in the field of women throwers at yesterday's competition. Although we usually have enough W30-59 entrants to run two flights of women, I hope that you joined us at Springfield and had a pleasurable experience in the combined age groups flight.

- Ed Daniels, Former USATF/NE Masters T&F Chair,
Throwing Events Coordinator

Top Top

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:01 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi
I had a really good time with all the jumpers even though I experienced one of the most embarassing moments of my track career (I took a spill!). The meet was well run and everything run smoothly.

I would actually like to thank everyone for being so nice and friendly, for all their tips and ofcourse for their concern when I wiped out. It was a fitting end to my first season back after 19 years. I am really looking forward to next year and "competing"

Thank you
Uni Blake

Top Top

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:32 am

Mom...glad you enjoyed the meet. The New England Association always puts on a well organized masters meet. A friend of mine went to the Eastern Regional in PA and told me it was terrible. Poorly organized, most events going on at the same time. It was definately not a masters friendly meet.

It is a shame that there are so few well run track meets. I recently went to the NJ open and masters meet and while the meet was organized and well intentioned, the officials had no clue about masters events. In the 100 meters everyone was randomly seeded instead of running by age groups. You had 30's and 80's running together in a heat. The issue at hand was that there were more than enough competitors and they could have run the 30's together, the 40's together, the 50's together, etc. But because the computer spit out the heats in the way it did, they wouldn't change the heats.

The New England meet should be posted on your calendar each year. It's well organized, well run, priced fairly, and held at a good facility. You can see the schedule at least 6-8 weeks in advance. Be wary of meets without a readily available time schedule weeks in advance, or meets that just have two starting times (9:00am field/10:00am running).

From a father of 5

Top Top