masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Saw the talk on the main site of them eliminating the steeple for 60+ competitors. Also, talk of taking away the water jump. This wouldn't really happen would it? I just entered the land of masters track (I'm 30) and really enjoyed watching guys twice my age hurdles barriers and negotiating the water jump before the sportnet feed went kaput. These guys are my heroes and I just hope to be above ground when I'm 60 not to mention still competing in the steeple, which I hope to be doing. Taking that event away or changing it would be a disgrace in my opinion.

Top Top

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

:(

That would be an absolute tragedy to remove the steeplechase, it is difficult enough to FIND in many meets, If people are willing to run , so be it

Also removing the water jump is also a joke, I was at a meet a few weeks ago, where the steeple had no water, and I said it is not the real event, and therefore did not run it.

What I could see perhaps is to lower the distance and barrier height for perhaps 50+ as opposed to 60+ I have seen ( and competed against) some of the older guys, and they are fine doing the event, no one ever got hurt

Other than that, I would leave it alone.

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

Having the steeple without a water jump would be like playing a football game without the end zones. I can't imagine even calling it the steepechase without the water jump, it's the defining feature of the whole race.

The lowering of the barrier for 50+ makes some sense as that's the age group for which they start lowering hurdles. Consistency there I'm all for but otherwise, leaving it alone is exactly what they should do.

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

what will they think of next - eliminate the hurdles for the over 60 women - and just have them hop every few meters?
I agree that they should lower the barrier for the older women - as they do for the older men. However I have a personal reason for hoping this does not happen - having sworn to try the steeplechase if they lower the barrier to 24 inches ! I do not expect to live long enough to see that happen, look how long it took to put in the steeplechase for women - and then lower the barrier from 30 inches to 27 inches. Lots of moaning and groaning about having to buy adjustable barriers etc. I am under the impression that the water jump is not supposed to be as deep for women as for men - I am short enough that I would need waterwings if I jumped in near the barrier - so while the powers that be are talking about eliminating/lowering etc for us old ladies - how about draining the water jump to the dept of the kiddie pool.

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

This can be done if it is organized at a meet properly. Since the steeple is not that popular of an event, and so far the women have under competitors in 2007 in the US ( according to this website) I am not sure how urgent that the USATF would act on this unless there is some serious lobbying. There should be some consistency in any case

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

As long as the USATF goes with status quo, I'm fine...I personally don't care too much what the WMA does (although I realize many of you do) since, while anything is possible, I don't see a future of being competitive at the international level.

Seeing the Jim Sorenson's and all their accomplishments are truly amazing- I couldn't come close to his record even at my very best...

But I do hope to compete in the steeple till I'm very old and very gray and as long as I can be out there doing it, that's all I ask...my concern is that these proposals are ratified by WMA and all of sudden, we're running the steeple with no water jump...so basically, a totally new event...not cool...

Top Top

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

As a default, USATF adopts whatever the rules are that WMA establishes for US masters competitions. It takes a formal action by the Masters Track and Field Committee of USATF to not adopt the international rules. It has happened, but only very rarely and none are still in force as far as I know other than the US masters exception to the WMA "loss of identity" rule with regard to throwing implements -- US throwers can restrict use of their personal implements at USATF competitions whereas athletes competing in WMA competitions internationally (or domestic competitions in other countries) cannot do so.

In other words, what WMA adopts as far as rules changes DOES have an impact on us here in the US unless we deliberating decide to part company with the international governing body.

Top Top