masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

42 year old here. Somewhat overweight and out of shape.

A friend of mine has been trying to get me into his club and I went to the track with him. I ran a hand time of 12.7. No track background.

My friend told me that is a very good starting time and is encouraging me to join the club.

Is he just trying to get me to train with him, or is this a pretty good time for a rank beginner?

Top Top

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:07 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

That time would put you in the top 25 of your age group at the moment....on your mark.....GO!

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:35 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I enjoyed the people he trains with and what little training I did with him was a blast, so I think I'll jump in (slowly, of course!) and see where it goes.

Thanks for the response.

Top Top

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 am

Junior Masters Athlete

How much improvement can I expect by spring?

I know this is dependent on a lot of things, but generally speaking. I'm currently at 25% body fat (I know! I know!) and I'm taking steps to get that corrected. I also do not have any track background, but I am now working with a club with great members and a great coach! I want to train and sprint for years and years (Lord willing).

With some hard work, getting this body in shape and good coaching, how much can I expect to lower that 12.7 to by the time spring meets hit?

Top Top

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

My guess is you could run sub-12 hand-timed by next summer, probably even faster. Good luck!!

Top Top

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:00 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I just started about 2 months ago and my times have dropped considerably. I'm past the part of the training draining me and leaving me sore for days, and I'm seeing some encouraging improvements.

Dropping that weight, getting in shape and developing good form will go a long way in fast times. I don't think it's a stretch to say you'll drop a second in as little as a few months.

Of course, I'm just a beginner but there are some experts here who can give you some great advice and projections.

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 am

Junior Masters Athlete

This isn't a very active board. I thought I would have a lot of people responding. Over 170 views and only a response or two? :o

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Will it stop you at this point if someone said, "You won't get faster " or anything negative? You are looking for encouragement. I have no idea how fast you can get, but why not just go for it. As for me, if someone told me I'd be struggling in the mid 15's in the 100, I wouldn't have believed them. I certainly thought I had a lot more speed somewhere in me. Now I have goals I want to achieve in the sprints and that will keep me training hard. When I first started, I didn't know that I would lose 20lbs, do ok in the throws, meet a bunch of great people and even make new friends.
Don't forget that many of the top people in our sport are getting ready for Worlds and/or just competed in Nationals. Have fun and just see where this takes you. Don't wait for someone to tell you to go for it...you already want to!

Leigh w45

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Since this is new to me and the people here are much, much more experienced than me, yeah, I would give it up in a couple of months or two if I saw little improvement and that agreed with the advice I was given. I have no track background at all, I have no idea what to expect, and I don't want to invest a lot of time in to something where I have little or no talent.

I understand you don't know how fast I can get, but I gave some facts that I thought would give the experienced people enough to at least give me a ballpark estimte. Getting few responses is quite surprising.

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Jason, you just said in an earlier post that you wanted to train and sprint for years, God willing. Now you're wondering whether you want to invest a few months into something in which you're unsure of your talent level. You seem to have the raw materials necessary for sprinting success if you ran a 12.7, but the level of improvement you can expect by spring is entirely up to you. If you're on the fence about training and go at it with "maybe, maybe not" attitude I guarantee you won't be pleased with your improvement. If it's something you truly want to do make up your mind to do it. No one has a magic mirror that looks into the future--all experienced athletes and coaches know that levels of improvement are directly tied to the amount of work put into training. Perhaps you won't find your talent in the sprints, but you may find another distance or even a field event that trips your trigger. Whatever happens, you will reap the rewards of weight loss and better fitness.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:11 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Whatever you do don't throw in the towel after a couple of months. It might take you that long to get in good enough shape to do some effective workouts without getting hurt. Also, remember that sprinters need power and strength -- you may have to hit some weights. Finally don't neglect those abs. Do these things and you are sure to improve. How much? Who's to say. In the meantime setting some long and short range goals may help to keep you motivated.

Good Luck

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I think it would depend on what your goals would be, how much time do you want to put into it etc

As far as goals go, are you looking to just compete in local meets and have fun? , or are you looking to really train and go to the regional, national or world competitons ? Are you looking to place in these meets ? or just get to the starting line ?How much time are you willing to commit ?

Assuming you want to train harder, I would feel that you would need a season or so before you get an idea on how well you would fare and to getg some times in competition

Masters track athletes ability are at all levels at meets. and If I am not mistaken, none of the meets have any qualifying standards

Top Top

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Jason, if you truly are somewhat overweight and out of shape and can already run a 12.7, I predict sub 12s easily by Spring and maybe even into the low 11s if you work hard. Go for it!! 8)

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top