masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

With Masters Nationals in August, when does everyone start racing? Seems like that could be a long racing season if you started in February/March when track and field generally begins.

Also, how many races do most masters athletes compete in during the season (track and field only, not XC)?

And, time between races? 2 weeks? a month?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Top Top

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think you'll get as many different answers as there are masters athletes. It all depends upon the individual. I start my season with perhaps a low-key all-comers or two as a tune-up before the Indoor Nationals, but my primary meets are Indoor Nationals, Regional Championships, and Outdoor Nationals. I'll sprinkle in a few all-comers in between but I find that I race best with adequate rest between meets --for me around 2 weeks works well. I need more rest after a major meet not only because of physical effort but the mental focus as well. Recharging my physical and mental batteries in order to adequately prepare for a big meet is key for me.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Master Masters Athlete

thanks for the advice.

I'm planning out a rough racing calendar for next spring/summer hoping to peak in Spokane. I raced in college and coached high school but with the Masters Outdoor meet coming so late (but with most racing opportunities coming early) this masters track training is a whole new ordeal and it's not possible (or wise) to just carry over what I've done as an athlete and coach when all that training was for an outdoor season that only lasted until May.

I like what you said about a 2-week recovery period and needing more after big meets, that's a big help.

Top Top

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

In my area there are not many masters indoor meets. So what I do is try and get into some college meets in late January. I only use them as training meets not necessarily running the events I would at the nationals. Instead of the 60m I will run the 200 early in the season. When I long jump my approach is not as long as it will be later in the season.

Starting that early does run the risk of brining out by Aug! I have done that before.
:shock:

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I would look at the meet schedule for both indoor and outdoor in your area and try to devise a plan based on that. (consider travel costs, time of meets, scheduling conflicts etc) If you are doing the steeplechase as you mentioned in an earlier post, you may find it hard to get many races in at all as that event can be spotty in meets. At my association this year there was one official (w/water) 3000m race with 36 inch height done for the entire outdoor season.

Top Top