masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am 45 and interested in starting to train for the 100m and 200m sprint. I have lots of questions. 1. What are the dates for the begining and ending of the masters track season. 2. If I can run in the 13s now, is it possible to get that down to the low 12s? 3. What is a typical training session for a 100m sprinter and how often? 4. How much time can I expect to gain starting from blocks and wearing spikes?

I guess that will get me started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:24 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Tony,
Take a look at the "meets" and rankings section of this website. They'll give you an idea of when/where meets are and you'll get to see where/when others are competing.

As for the basic training info, start with a good general reference, like the new edition of Track and Field Omnibook, available from Track and Field News and, hopefully, your local library system.

You'll certainly see improvement with training. How much is difficult to know. Maybe a full second, maybe less, maybe even more. Good luck and have fun.

Bill

Top Top

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I plan to do time trials next week. I will probably do standing starts in the 100m and 200m to get an idea where I stand.

I looked for the Track and Field Omnibook at a couple of area libraries, but was unable to lacate a copy. Is that a good book to train for the sprint only or does it cover multiple sports? Is there a better choice for sprint training?

Thanks for all your help,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:45 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Track and Field News has several other titles on sprinting, hurdling and speed development. Does your local library have an inter-library loan system? If it does it can likely get any of those titles or the omnibook sent. Omnibook is a very well respected general reference with info on all the events, weight training, and periodization.

You don't mention what kind of sports background you have or where you're located. One other very good option is to seek out a club in your area. The meets section on this site has a listing of generally active clubs in each region.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Bill

Top Top

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Bill,

I am located in northwest Florida in a town called Gulf Breeze. Like most guys, I played high school ball but did not play any college sports. I have competed in about 10 5k races over the last 5 or six years and a couple of sprint triathlons. I keep myself in pretty good shape by lifting weights, running, biking and swimming. However, last year I strained a knee and was diagnosed with synovitis and ITB syndrome. I was out for a while with cortisone shots and stretching. Before I was able to run I had to have double hernia surgery. So, you can see I was out of it all last year and am just starting my training back. But now I want to train for sprinting. I love to run fast but there are not many opportunities in my area to compete. I am just going to do it anyway to see how fast I can get.

I appreciate all the good information and hope to get more input over the next couple of months while I develop a good training schedule and proper drills to get faster and faster. I hope!

Thanks again,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I did my time trial today. I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I guess the year long layoff really set me back. I ran the 100m in 14.1s. I ran a second time in 14.3s. I was hoping to be around 13.6s. I was not able to run the 200m (I was out of gas). I also seemed to have run out of gas at about the 85 yard mark when doing the 100m sprint. Looks like I need speed and endurance training if I am going to drop my time.

Any training tips for a beginner needing to shave some time and make the distance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony, your local library should have some info. Most important would be a local Masters club and/or finding a group of Masters guys that are into speed. I was able to make significant imrovements running with others using comraderie, competition and their knowledge about speed training.

Best of luck!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:27 am

Master Masters Athlete

BMo,

Thanks for the advice. Most track clubs in my area are for distance runners. I'm sure they could help though. I will check it out.

Looks like you have posted some great PR times. Also, Eugene is not a bad place to be for a runner! Do you get to train at Hayward field?

How often do you train?

Thanks again,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony, no sweat. Thanks for the kudos on the PRs. I made good progress last year. I only resumed running 12 months ago after a roughly 25 year hiatus (I ran in 10th grade but only for a couple months, then quit). Anyway, when I first started timing my 400s they were around 65s, then to 63, then 60, etc. It took me 8 months or so to get under 60sec. Running with others made the biggest difference. Eugene is a great place to be into running! The hype about running is palpable around town right now, and it seems to be growing as we get closer to 2008. I used to run frequently at Hayward but right after this year's Prefontaine Classic meet, they tore it up to upgrade for the trials. Now everyone trains at South Eugene High. It's pretty cool to go there for a workout and share the track with the local world-class athletes that are running. As far as training, I get in 3 to 4 times per week. It can be a challenge with family, work, etc>

Cheers and happy training!! 8)

Top Top

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I picked up the book , "Fundamentals of Track and Field" by Gerry Carr. It looks to have some pretty good info in there. Still checking on the Omnibook. Are there any DVDs I should check out?

Thanks,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Don't know of any off hand. :(

Top Top

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

I was able to get a library loan of the Track and Field Omnibook. However, the book I received was published in 1976. I am just guessing, but is the new publication of 2007 updated with techniques, testimonials and diagrams?

The book is very informative and a great resource.

Thanks,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Share the knowledge bro!

Top Top

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

BMo,

The book I recieved is the "Track and Field Omnibook" by Ken Doherty. The book was originally published in 1971 with this print in 1976. The book is written as a coaching guide starting with a section on the human side of coaching, coaching leadership and coaching styles and mechanics.

Each section covers a track and field event (all events are covered) starting with a brief history. stats, a pretty indepth look at techniques (including diagrams and sketches), exercises and examples of training schedules from some of the great athletes and coaches of the time (1976 and earlier).

There are sections that cover training for endurance running, the 400 meter dash, the sprints (100 meter), sprints and Hurdling and relays. The techniques of Bobby Morrow, Jesse Owens and Bob Hayes area covered in the sprints section.

I am sure some of the information has been updated in the newly released version of the book that I think was printed this year. Like Bill said in an earlier post, it is a great resource book for track and field.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW