masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hello:

I've been lurking here recently and I have a question.

Now, this may be a stupid question, but remember-I am new to track and field. :)

My questions: Are the rankings on the Rankings Page actual times or age graded times?

Top Top

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hello! Those are actual FAT (fully automatic timing, or electronic) times. The hand (stopwatch) times are listed down at the bottom of each list and they are noted by a "h." I believe they are rounded up to the nearest tenth for the sprints.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

That's what I thought.

Pretty fast times for some old geezers. :lol:

Top Top

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Next question.

(I have lots of them, so hang in there with me!)

How much does being overweight affect sprint times? I try to imagine how much time Tyson Gay would lose being 20 pounds overweight.

Does anyone have any experience with losing weight and getting faster?

Top Top

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Strange as it may sound, I actually gained weight as I got faster. I started weight lifting and specific sprint training and added 6 lbs of muscle in about two years. I was in pretty good aerobic shape when I started to train for sprinting, but sprint training caused my body to add muscle. It's not so much the aggregate weight..it's the composition of the weight. Get a body fat testing and that will show you if you are "over fat" or "under muscled." An online search should show you what your body fat % should be for your age and fitness level. Use that as a starting point when you start your training and retest in 6 months. Consistent training should show improvement!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I submit that overall, weight is the enemy. There must be a balance though. It depends on where you start. When I resumed running a year ago I was 200#. Now at 185# I know I am faster than I would have been, despite being in better shape. Furthermore, I think the longer the distance the more weight plays a role. My 2 centimos.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:49 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Gaining weight and strength thru a weight training program is certainly benificial, but for most male sprinters excess weight is an anchor. I returned to competition 4 years ago. When I started to train again, I weighed 225. By the end of the first season I was down to 205 and could see great improvements in my sprinting and jumping. My lowest weight during the last 4 years was 195, and I felt I could train more and recover faster. Unfortunately for many of us over 50, injuries are also a factor, and the time off from training (in recovery) usually results in a weigh gain. I competed most of this past year between 205-210. I was able to beat the All American standard at 60 meters, which tells me my base speed is still there, but couldn't come close to meeting the standard at 100 or 200 meters, which tells me the weight is holding me back.

It is a long process to lose the weight, but it's well worth it in the long run. Competing in master's track meets is my motivation to keep training.

Top Top

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You can be old and fast and heavy and fast.

Marty Krulee just won the M50 world championship for 100 meters at Riccione.

He's no skinny whinny:
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2003/feb26.html

Photo of Marty at Mt. SAC in April:
http://www.masterstrack.com/gallery/v/m ... 6.jpg.html

Top Top
  Profile WWW