masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

What kind of flats does everyone use? Regular running shoes? Also, for those that run outside, what do you do during the winter?

Top Top

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

Kim,

Thanks for the input. There is obviously a benefit to racing with spikes. What size spikes do you use for outdoor tracks? I have seen some 3/16" pyramid and 1/8" needles. I'm really not sure of the differences.

Thanks for the feedback,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It may be some trial and error to see what is most comfortable for you. Personally, I like 3/16" pyramid or even 1/4" pyramids if allowed on the surface. Whichever gives you some grips without catching would be my advice. Good luck.

Top Top

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Louie,

Thanks for the info on the spikes. I never really thought about the spikes catching. What brand of shoe do you prefer? I have my eye on the adidas cosmos but have not purchased a pair yet. Waiting to see if I can get my time down a little first.

Thanks again,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I find that I can't run comfortably in sprint spikes for any length of time. Not enough cushioning, even though I'm on my toes. I'm much more comfortable in mid-distance spikes that have a bit more padding in the sole, especially in the heel. I'm willing to trade off the extra ounces in weight for greater comfort.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

As for shoes, I am a Nike guy because I have a wide foot and Nike seem to be fairly wide. You have to go with what fits you best. For meets, I like a shoe that is as light as possible without much heel. I used to think I needed a little heel to run the quarter, but this summer I broke a shoelace in my '400 shoes' 5 minutes before my race and was forced to grab my '100 shoes' for the race. I ran about 1.1 seconds faster than I had all summer, so I don't think a heel is needed (at least for me). Best advice I have, go with what fits well and feels good. Good luck - glad I could be of help.

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

I generally stick with 1/4 pyramids mostly becuase I HATE having to change spikes. One indoor track I use requires no more than 1/8 inch so I have different pairs of shoes that I keep different lengths in.

I have a mid-distance pair (with small heel) that I use for long jumping. And a 'convertible' pair that can be used with or without spikes. And my more aggressive sprint spikes which I have to get right out of after the race or my shins start to hurt. Then I bought a pair on sale just because they had tiny blue flowers on them.

Some women have tons of strappy sandals, I have four different pairs of spikes. Oh well.

Top Top
  Profile WWW