masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have questions about spikes and blocks? What is the difference in the needle and the pyramid and which spike size is used for which track surface? Who makes a good spike shoe? What shoe do you use on an indoor track? Which start block would be good to start out with as a newcomer? Do they supply start blocks at master's track events?

Thanks for any input,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tony, 2 things I can answer. Every masters and all-comers meet I've attended has supplied start blocks. And I bought a pair of Vers-A-Blocks for my personal use during practice. They are great --very portable and have never slipped when I used them. You may want to consider buying a pair for practice (look on the internet for them).

As for indoor/outdoor shoes, I use the same shoe for both venues. Maybe someone with more experience has insight on that.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the info on the Vers a blocks. Sounds like a great idea for training.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:03 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm no expert on spikes, but most of the outdoor meet entry forms that I have seen specify that only quarter-inch pyramid spikes are allowed. I think the smaller needle spikes are for indoor tracks.

If you go to www.vsathletics.com, there is a Track Shoe Guide that explains the different types of racing flats and spikes, and what surfaces they are generally used on.

Top Top

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the info. They do have some info and a good selection of track and field equipment at the website you gave me.

Thanks again,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:11 am

Senior Masters Athlete

How imprtant are spikes anyway?

Let's say two sprinters have the identical times. You line both of them up for a 100m race. One is wearing spikes and the other is just in his Asics running shoes.

How much of an advantage is the guy with spikes going to have? Any?

Top Top

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:30 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Quote:
How important are spikes anyway?

I doubt that this is quantifiable. Differences in any particular race may outweigh any equipment advantage for two very similar athletes, but I bet you won't find many sprinters who wouldn't be upset if their spikes were lost in flight to a meet and they were forced to run in flats. There is noticeably better traction, I believe, with spikes.

Top Top

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:11 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Back in the day, I think spikes made a big difference on cinders and other slippery surfaces. On modern all-weather surfaces, I don't think there's really any difference unless the surface is very wet. BUT, racing flats that take spikes are much lighter than training shoes, and that makes a big difference in my opinion. If I'm doing 400m intervals at the track and switch from trainers to flats for the last couple of repeats, I generally run 1 to 2 seconds faster with the same effort.

Top Top

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I would be willing to guess spikes will decrease your time by 0.3 to 1.0+ seconds in a 100 meter race, depending on ability, track surface, weather, etc. If I got to a meet and didn't have spikes, I would beg, borrow, or steal to get a pair. I rarely run without spikes during the last two months of my season. Just my opinions.

Top Top

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 am

Master Masters Athlete

I like to train without spikes most of the season. I want to force myself to run hard and make times with out spikes. That way when I do run with spikes I am sure I will be faster. Believe it or not I like to train around a soccer field instead of on the track!

Top Top

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

OK, I now know that spikes are going to give you an advantage over not having them.

Coach, you mentioned training on a soccer field so the track will be easier when you move to there. How much will your time improve on a track vs. a soccer field? About .5 seconds or so?

Top Top

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well my methods might not be well received but I will talk about them. First let me give the reason for training on a soccer field. The first thing is the reduction in the pounding that your knees and back take over a season. The second reason is that your ankle strength increases because the surface is not always perfectly flat like on a track. The last thing is your body works much harder to reach the same times that you achieve easily on the track. The extra effort is a large benefit to you when you step on the track for a speed day.

I was not the first with this method of training. An old coach of mine taught me this when I move from high school to college If you check the NCAA II record books you will see that Alabama A&M one two women national titles and 25 straight conference championships over the years. The university also turned out several Olympians. I would say it works just fine.

Top Top

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:02 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Yeah, I'd say they have a good thing going!

I train on grass as well. My legs and hips take a pounding if I'm on the track more than a 2x a week. I'll sometimes move over to the artificial turf on the football field.

Top Top

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It really helps with my training. Since the masters season is long it helps to keep me going.

Top Top

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Another advantage with spikes, besides the traction and the lighter weight is the lack of a fat heel. Training shoes all have a big fat heel. It makes it really hard to practice running on the ball of your foot. I have some good flats that i use now and then just to practice staying up on my foot rather than clomping along as I do in trainers. They should invent a good training shoe for sprinters, but that's another topic.

I know I am faster in spikes and when I bought true sprint spikes (without a small heel) I was even faster. It benefitted my stride mechanics.

But no one says you have to wear them so get a pair, try them and decide for yourself what works best for you.

Top Top
  Profile WWW