masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Besides years when the WMA's are contested, my assumption was that Outdoor Nationals was the biggest meet of the year that everyone would want to peak for.

However, I just saw that a big masters meet here in Oregon- the Hayward Classic in Eugene (where people definitely know their track)- has been tentatively scheduled for August 2nd and 3rd, a mere 4 days before competition begins in Spokane for the Outdoor National Meet on August 7th. :?

That timing makes little or no sense for athletes wanting to peak at the national meet.

So is the outdoor national meet a lower key and less important meet than I assumed?

I figured it was as big for masters as the Outdoor National Meet is for USATF for Open competitors but it appears with that type of scheduling I could be wrong. :?:

Top Top

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

No, you're right. Nationals is the biggest Annual event. Normally Hayward Classic is earlier but they're hosting the Olympic Trials that year. I imagine that Hayward tried to get some people, who will go to Spokane, also in the Pacific Northwest, to warm up for Nationals the weekend before, by hitting Eugene. Too close together for some, a great double for others.

Top Top

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the reply- I figured Outdoor Nats should be the big meet of the year so will plan my training around that.

The Trials end July 4th so the Hayward Classic has to be after that. They mentioned late July or that first August weekend. NW Regionals is the 3rd weekend in July in Seattle. Either way, the Hayward Classic would be either one week after that meet or one week before Outdoor Nats due to the lack of Hayward being available earlier in the year because of the Trials.

Given the choice, I'll certainly take watching the Trials for a week in Eugene to getting the ideal date for the Hayward Classic so I won't complain. :D Just curious what the importance is on Outdoor Nats and got the answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

Top Top

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I would guess it might depend on what your definition of a big meet is. It is an unfortunate fact that meet attendance may be more decided by the convenience and cost of going there than anything else. Regarding Hayward, I haven't experienced a better facility or better run meet, and that includes several national champs (indoor and outdoor).

I'll be happy to compete at both :D assuming my body doesn't complain too much.

- master

Top Top

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:47 pm

mellowjohnny wrote:
I just saw that a big masters meet here in Oregon- the Hayward Classic in Eugene (where people definitely know their track)- has been tentatively scheduled for August 2nd and 3rd,

Where did you see this? I just checked the Oregon Track Club and OTC Masters web pages and didn't see it there.

- master

EDIT
I just opened my OTCMonthly newsletter and read about the dates.
:roll:

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

master wrote:
Where did you see this? I just checked the Oregon Track Club and OTC Masters web pages and didn't see it there.

- master

I've been talking to some of the people most involved with OTCM to make some changes to the website so that it is more interactive and up-to-date!!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:09 pm

BMo wrote:
I've been talking to some of the people most involved with OTCM to make some changes to the website so that it is more interactive and up-to-date!!

If you know who to contact, tell them I would be willing to help with that task. I've been a member of OTCM for several years but have not yet made it down to Eugene for any of their meetings or get togethers. :(

- master

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The Canadian Masters Meet is scheduled for Aug 1-3 in Regina- the week prior to the National Masters in Spokane. I understand the Canadians are hoping that many US competiors will participate in both meets. It would be a shame if the Hayward Classic is scheduled to meet at the same time as the Canadian Masters - thus drawing away a number of potential competitors from the meet in Regina. If the date is not set - perhaps the Hayward Classic can be held at some other time.
On the other hand - those of us who live at some distance from the WestCoast are not likely to make a couple of trips west. I can understand why the the Hayward Classic is being postponed - and there seems to be no good solution to this - but competing meets on the same weekend in the same general area is most unfortunate.

Top Top

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:40 pm

runfast70 wrote:
On the other hand - those of us who live at some distance from the WestCoast are not likely to make a couple of trips west. I can understand why the the Hayward Classic is being postponed - and there seems to be no good solution to this - but competing meets on the same weekend in the same general area is most unfortunate.

Since it is sometimes easy to under estimate the distances involved, here are some "trip distances" according to Google maps. Eugene, Oregon to Regina, Saskatchewan is 1284 miles. Boston, Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida is 1295 miles.

- master

Top Top

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

Going to both meets would be ideal but the timing does make it difficult.

Did the OTCM newsletter say the dates in August were "tentative" or are they basically set?

The meet obviously has to be after the Olympic Trials but I think having it a week earlier (late July) would draw more athletes because the timing would be better training-wise.

I'm considering doing both but have the same concern about the body holding up for it!

Top Top

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:06 pm

OTCMonthly in the President's Column wrote:
12The dates for the 2008 Hayward Classic
are August 2nd and 3rd. This is later than
usual, but it is the earliest we could use
Hayward Field after the Olympic Trials. ...

- master

Top Top

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

master wrote:
If you know who to contact, tell them I would be willing to help with that task. I've been a member of OTCM for several years but have not yet made it down to Eugene for any of their meetings or get togethers. :(
- master

I'll keep you in mind!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top