masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am looking for some one willing to help coach me in the hammer and the spin in the shot, I will be in Arizona after the first of the year for about a month . I will be around Bullhead city Kingman and will be willing to travel to get the help. I am 60 yrs old and glide right now in the shot but want to learn the spin in the shot. I live in Montana and not much time to learn here . And yes I know Tom Gage but live a long ways from him. Is there anyone out there? I am willing to pay for the lessons.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You ought to be able to learn the hammer on your own. Its no big deal.
Start with a regular house broom for the footwork. There are tons of books and videos.

As for learning the spin at 60, seems like a waste of time. Even the full glide just might not be worth it anymore. I broke the glide down with a little shuffle step out of the back. Just saying, cuz as we slow and lose strength, holding those positions gets harder.

Top Top

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi-I am in the same boat-learning the hammer on my own. There is a Youri Sedykh dvd which has been helpful-Jay Silvester has a book out on the throws which might help too-
A video camera on a tripod would help too-so you can get an objective view of your form.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Do a search for RandeT on youtube, he has a lot of videos for hammer drills. I'm no hammer thrower, but have heard from many that they are a big help
MC

Top Top