masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

This is the first fall season is some time that I've been able to train (I usually get my knee cleaned out during October and resume training in December). After my daughter left for her first year in college I found the summer workout schedule her sprint coach had given to her. It was a mix of sprinting/strength building/endurance building. I've been doing it now for almost 2 full months and really enjoy it. It is 5 days per week with 2 days off for rest and recovery:

Day 1: warm up: 6 x 60m; cool down (increase the distance by 10 meters each week)

Day 2: warm up; 6 x 400m with 4 min recovery; cool down

Day 3 : 20 minute XC run (increase time by 2-3 minutes each week)

Day 4 : warm up: 3 X 4 minute run with 3 minute recovery; cool down

Day 5: warm up; 4 x 30 sec hill ; cool down (add 1 hill each week)

Day 6 & 7: rest

Next month I'll go back indoors and start the next phase which is more sprint based with tempo runs.

Top Top

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ken,

That sounds like a great off season training progam. Do you also do weight training and plyo work? Also, what intensity level do you train? Do you train at 80% or higher while doing your runs?

Thanks for the input,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hi Tony;

I'll start my weight training again once my indoor workouts begin. I'll do running/sprint training 4 days a week (T, R, S, S) and lift twice (W, F). Once I hit mid January I'll add Monday to my lifting schedule and maintain that schedule until early March. Then I'll go back to lifting twice a week until the Nationals.

I haven't tried plyo training yet, but the trainer at my work site wants me to start a program using it.

The shorter runs in my pre-season workouts are at 75-85%. The longer runs (4 minute runs and XC runs are closer to 65% effort.

Once I go indoors, any short sprint workout (less than 150m) is at 75%+. The longer sprints 200+, are at 75%.

Top Top

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I have found out that it is really hard to stick with a training schedule with work and family. I am only getting in 2 to 3 days of training. I do some 200 and 400 work one day and maybe a little speed work another. If I am lucky I can get in a 3rd day of plyo or stadium. Any pointers for a 2 to 3 day workout schedule?

Thanks,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW