masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

:?:
Hi All,

Because of fatigue, depression and zero libido for the last couple years, at age 65 my Urologist prescribed me Testim, a Testosterone gel, 5 grams a day.

BTW my T test, blood work, was very low, like .9 % for free T. hypogonadism was the dx.

It certainly has made a difference in my life in all ways.

I have always been a jogger and have done races, with my renewed energy I may do a Marathon or so again.

Does this drug taking make me illeagal ???

James

Top Top

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It does...

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yes it does. But unless you break the world record at 65 I dont think you will here to much crap

Top Top

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

:D

I would be happy to break 4 1/2 hous

James

Top Top

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Testosterone supplements are against the rules— regardless of whether you test positive in a drug test or not. While hormone replacement therapy is more accepted than it was ten years ago, it is still controversial enough that I doubt the IAAF will change its rules anytime soon for masters athletes.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Anybody know of a legal way to resolve the diagnosis of low testosterone level and the related problems that James mentions in his original post? Or must the athlete choose between health and competition in this case?

Top Top

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Brian McKinley wrote:
Or must the athlete choose between health and competition in this case?

The reality of the masters circuit is that you can have both!

Only a handful of masters meets do drug-testing -- mainly WMA worlds and some major European meets -- and even then only a tiny fraction get tested.

So my advice is: Compete, take your medicine, and have fun!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ken,

This looks to me like an attempt on your part to open debate. I find it hard to believe that your point of view is literally as you have put it.

Surely all of the drug-related problems in sport have been predicated on the assumption that the taker of the drugs will "get away with it"? Whether or not that is the practical reality seems to me personally less important than the ethics that underpin an approach like that.

Tom

England

Top Top

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tom Phillips wrote:
This looks to me like an attempt on your part to open debate.

Nah, it's just reality. Oldsters sometimes need their medicines. Some medicines are on the banned list. Precious few drug tests are done in masters track. So why compromise your health so U can run track?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:34 am

Master Masters Athlete

Libido = health? Come on. I would not like it when one of my colleagues is on a medicin that is on the drugs list. So I disagree.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wrong, it's a lot more than low libido. Fatigue, depression, loss of muscle tone, problems with concentration, loss of bone density and osteoporosis are other symptoms. Low testosterone is also known as "male menopause." For some men, it's a health issue, not just a "performance" issue.

My cousin suffered through it, and his quality and enjoyment of life were markedly diminished before medication.

I am of the opinion that you should take the medications you need for your health but abstain from competitions at a regional, national, or world level.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I definitely see your point, Ken, but I won't compete using banned substances.

I am interested in the definition of cheating. WMA denies TUE requests for supplemental testosterone, prescribed by a physician to raise testosterone levels into the normal range and reduce the symptoms Liz describes. When Tom refers to “the drug-related problems in sport” as it applies to supplemental testosterone, doesn’t that mean that healthy athletes are raising their testosterone level above normal levels to gain an unfair competitive advantage? However, when the athlete beside you in the starting blocks, throwing ring, or runway has normal hormonal balance, do you feel cheated?

Weia, I always enjoy reading your perspective. The health issues are the ones Liz mentioned. While I don’t equate libido and physical health, at least some libido seems important to a healthy marriage.

Thanks for the responses and discussion. My question still stands. Is there some way to resolve the problem of subnormal testosterone levels, or at least reduce the symptoms, without using a substance banned by IAAF/WMA/USADA?

Brian

Top Top

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

While I'm not an expert on drug testing or banned substances, doesn't supplimental testosterone raise the person's levels into the normal range? Doesn't drug testing at track meets target individuals with above normal range levels of testosterone?

If that is true then wouldn't someone with low levels of testosterone, that takes suppliments, test in the normal range and pass drug tests? If someone with normal levels of testosterone that took the suppliments and then had elevated levels would fail the drug test?

Seems to me that the former case wouldn't trigger a positive drug test, while the latter would.

Top Top

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Someone please jump in to correct this if it's not accurate, but isn't the presence of synthetic testosterone a tip off in the drug test? So it's not just the level but also the source that is examined?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

"However, when the athlete beside you in the starting blocks, throwing ring, or runway has normal hormonal balance, do you feel cheated?"--from Brian McKinley's post.

Well, one more comment. Brian, if someone has normal hormonal balance whether it's natural or synthetic, I wouldn't feel cheated, in fact I would think the playing field was equal. Unfortunately WMA doesn't take the same view which I think is the real problem in this debate. When I said that if I were in this situation I'd abstain from competitions at a level above local, the reason would be that technically it's cheating. Realistically, it's not. However until the rules change to allow for TUEs for this sort of situation, we have to abide by these guidelines. If I were the original poster, I'd take my medicine, enjoy the return of my vitality, and train for that 4 1/2 hour marathon....Go for it!

Top Top
  Profile WWW