masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

:?: Are their big differences in distance, when throwing the Discus from a standing position compaired to the spin ? I am talking about Masters , say 50 years old + . And mostly with not real good technique.

Top Top

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Short answer, is no, if your technique sucks. Discusdoc will have
all the exact differences.

Probably 10-15 feet, but with the bowling alley sector, changes of sector fouls increase.

Spinning isn't that difficult, but hitting the power position at the exact right time and in the right place is the challenge.

Top Top

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

Rev GJ is correct.

Beginners will see a -5% to +5% difference. (Many beginners will throw farther from the standing throw so they will see a negative effect.)

As you get better you can expect to see differences in the 10-15% range. Then as you really hone your technique, increases of over 20% can be achieved. Fazekas had one of the biggest I had ever heard of, which exceeded 30%.

I use my differential on a given day as a measure of how good or bad my technique is working. I'm turning 55 this year and I threw discus for the first time when I turned 50, so I have 5 years of practice under my belt. Right now I'm getting about 17-18% increase from my spin, but I want 20%!!!!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

well myself i have vertigo i have my good days and my bad days mostly bad, i really have a time when itsthe bad days no speed no power its an effort to try and not foul but thats why its a competition , i just try harder to adapt and overcome with the hammer its worse but i still just do my best sure wish i didn't have this vertigo then it would be a bit easier to train moreand compete a bit harder

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I published a study on elite discus throwers (>200 feet) that showed no relationship between standing and full turn throwing. I suspect that's not true in non-elite throwers.

I get about 22 percent out of my turns, which is typical for experienced throwers.

I have studied the technique of Fazekas. He has long arms, spins very fast immediately, and gets a tremendous upper body stretch and separation in the middle of the circle. His turns gives him elasticity that is impossible to develop during a standing throw. I have been playing with his technique but find I don't have the athletic ability to pull it off. Fazekas is very strong, but I think his method might work with masters throwers who use the 1.5 or 1 kg discus, where strength is less of a factor.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top