masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I know this year (2008) the indoor nationals are in Boston and that the outdoor nationals are in Spokane. I also have located that the 2009 nationals have been awarded and they are in Landover, MD for indoors and Clermont, FL for outdoors. I was wondering if they have ideas as to who is bidding for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 indoor and outdoor nationals or if they've been awarded already. I'm sure that they don't look that far ahead, but I was wondering if there were any rumors already floating around about these future locations. I am just trying to decide if or when it would be possible to participate without breaking the bank. Thanks for any information in advance.

Top Top

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have a vague memory of reading that the outdoor event for either 2009 or 2010 would be in Sacramento. But I admit, I can't remember exactly where I got that from.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

2010 Outdoor Nationals were awarded to Sacramento, CA at the Convention in Hawaii; 2011 will be awarded at the convention next year in Reno.

2009 Indoor was awarded to Landover, MD at the Convention in Hawaii.

Top Top

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Why is outdoor nationals for 2010 decided upon the same year as indoor nationals for 2009?

Seems like that's backwards since indoors comes before outdoors in each year so those two events are more than a year apart...

Is is because outdoor nationals is a bigger event and needs more lead time for planning purposes?

Top Top

Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

mellowjohnny wrote:
Why is outdoor nationals for 2010 decided upon the same year as indoor nationals for 2009?

Normally, outdoor and indoor nationals are awarded at the same time -- usually three years out.

For example: Spokane 2008 was chosen in November 2005.

At Hawaii, there apparently weren't any bidders for 2010 indoors.

So cross your fingers we get some bidders this coming November.

For a history of recent choices of masters outdoor and indoor nationals, just search the blog or this site:
http://www.masterstrack.com/siteindex.html

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

The Indoor Championships will be in Boston again in 2010.

They were awarded at the Convention in Hawaii.

I didn't remember 100% for sure and so I didn't want to post it earlier. Now I've double checked.

In Reno at this year's Convention bids will be open for the 2011 Indoor and Outdoor Championships.

Top Top

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

thanks for the info, Ken and Jerry...

So if indoor nationals is always going to be on the East Coast from here on out, doesn't that mean Outdoor nats should always be on the Left Coast? :wink:

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ah the location thread again
- the indoor meet will go where there is a bid - and the available indoor tracks that can host a National Masters Indoor meet seem to be on the East Coast. Several years ago the meet was in Boise - and I have not heard that they will make a second bid. Of course it is better if the meets are spread around the country - but again - there are few available indoor facilities capable of handling the meet that MAKE BIDS.
Yes there are a number of good indoor tracks-mostly affiliated with universities. It requires 3 days of time for the Indoor meet - most universities tend to think that their facilities should be dedicated to their students. And it takes a local organizing committee willing and able to pull together a bid, and make it work. This is not something that can be done by a one or two person committee. It also takes $$$ - and available housing, and if the housing is not near the facility - renting buses for transportation etc.
As for having all the outdoor meets on the west coast to make up for all the indoor meets being on the east coast - "sigh" - hundreds more go to the outdoor nationals than the indoor nationals - maybe we need to do a spreadsheet of the location of athletes competing in the indoor and outdoor meets over - say aa 5 year period - and see which geographical location has the most - and then - sit around and wait for a bid from the correct location. The bids come from those able and willing to make them. I think we all need to be grateful for the bids received and the willingness of local organizing committees to do the mostly thankless job of putting on a meet and not start again on the thread of geographical location.

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 am

Master Masters Athlete

Calm down there, runfast. I was kidding about the location needing to always be on the west coast (hence the emoticon used). I'm just thankful it's out this direction this year and again in 2010 realizing it may not be back on this side of the States for awhile after that.

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

"no worries" Mellowjohnny - " no worries" it is just that the location thread has gotten beaten up and down and sideways on the forum - especially the old one - and it was sort of "oh no - here we go again".
:lol: - arghhhhh- I don't know if you were reading the forum when there was a long series of "suggestions" about all the great indoor track on or near the west coast that might be great places to have indoor meets. They might indeed be great locations - but - but - but - yada yada yada - etc -somehow there are no bids from them.
Personally I really loved the suggestion that we hold the outdoor meet in a "central" location - Indianapolis - every year- what a concept - central to those who live there -

:roll:

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

runfast70 wrote:
- maybe we need to do a spreadsheet of the location of athletes competing in the indoor and outdoor meets over - say aa 5 year period - and see which geographical location has the most -

One thing you will likely find is that there will be more athletes from within a couple hundred miles of the site. I know if the meets were in Portland or Eugene (Oregon), I would attend every one of them. I don't think one can overestimate the significance of meet proximity to an athlete's home and his/her participation. And this then favors the site being in a population dense location (if athlete count is your primary objective).

That brings us back to the big problem of how few sites with proper facilities and sufficient volunteers and money there are to put one of these on. :(

- master

Top Top

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Sorry guys, didn't mean for this topic to anger anyone or repeat a topic from another thread. I was just curious as to how far out they have the meet locations planned and determined so I could decide as to which ones were possible for me to attend. I search all the time to try and find information and most of the time come up with some information but not the complete story. So I figured why not come on here and ask those who are really involved and interested in the topic and get the whole story here. I thank you guys for the information and now I can make an informed decision where to possibly compete in the next few years.

I do agree though that there is no "perfect" place to have a meet every year because someone will always be at an advantage for the site and someone will be at a disadvantage as far as travel goes. The fact that there are people willing to put these meets on year after year somewhere in the U.S. is a great thing and we should appreciate that we have the chance to compete in a sport we love at the ages we are no matter how far or how close the competition site may be from us.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Top Top