masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Is there a way to perform sprint or speed training indoors on a treadmill?
I want to prepare for either the 100, 200 and 400 sprints but do not like training in the cold. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

If it is too cold in the FLA, don't venture up to Penn's Woods!! :lol: I wish there was, maybe somebody else out there has an idea. Actually, I have been having moderate success with 30 meter sprints in the hallways at the local high school. I try to run fast with lots of rest (3-5 minutes) between reps. Good luck.

Top Top

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Louie,

I think I will stay down here. Way too cold where you guys are. I can't even imagine trying to run in PA. I do live in NW Florida where it gets a little cooler than south Florida though.

Thanks for the info.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:11 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tonyb,

IMHO it depends what aspect of sprint training you want to tackle. I find that the treadmills at my local gym are fine if I want to do a session of intervals at moderate pace on days when the weather stops me from getting to my "local" track, 20 miles away.

However, the running action on a 'mill is artificial, and probably no substitute for the real thing over time. Plus, safety considerations usually prevent one from getting up to any real speed - if the treadmill goes fast enough in the first place.

Use it for a good aerobic work out, and experiment, but don't let it take the place of real quality work, even if it is limited in extent.

England

Top Top

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess there is actually no way to get the speed needed to train for the 100, 200 or even the 400 on a treadmill. It looks like the treadmill can only be used, like you said, for interval and aerobic training.

Thanks again,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree, I only use TM for moderate paced intervals. For fast leg turnover you can do jump rope. Also sometimes I use the elliptical and just go as fast as I can for 30-40 seconds.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Kim,

Thanks for the feedback. I do have access to an elliptical machine so that is an option. Also, I didn't even think of doing jump rope for speed training. Great ideas.

However, the weather here today is beautiful and I was able to get to the track and do some 400 repeats. It felt great.

Thanks and happy training,

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I do 400s on the tread and I think it works great. Obviously the real speed work like on a track isn't the same, but hey...you're working out!
I do a 400 run, then a 400 walk for four times as part of my cardio workout when I'm not at football practice...I feel as though it has given me a pretty decent base for practice and training. And yes...I DO play tackle football, haha!! Male, 49 years old and the oldest guy on the team by far.

Top Top

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Stevieray,

Thanks for the info. I think I will try the 400 run on the treadmill. What speed do you get up to?

Good luck with that football. And try to stay healthy!!

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I take the speed up to 7, which I believe is mph's for flat. Sometimes I will run a little slower...like 6 to 6.5 on more of an incline. The treadmill I use has a digital display of a track and shows you where you are on the track as you run...that is one way of clocking myself..the other is the minutes per mile read out....don't know if you have those or not...but they are sure handy.
Thanks for the watch out in football....hopefully I will remain healthy for the next two games we have left and then my football career is in the history books. Looks like Masters Track is gonna be my new game, but I might have to try pole vaulting again...which my wife claims is even more insane than playing ball....but what does she know....she's a woman!!!
Okay ladies....no arrows please over that last comment...just a joke.

Top Top

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have a high speed treadmill in my lab that will go 30 mph. Most go only 10 to 12 mph. We had a kid who ran a 1:49 800 that we trained in short spurts up to about 22 mph. It seemed to work. Unfortunately, he broke up with his girlfriend and quit running for about 6 months. He lacked seriousness when he returned and didn't go back to the treadmill. I think the method has promise, particularly during the winter and late fall.

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

Where can one get a high speed treadmill? What kind of green would this set back a guy? 20-30 mph would definitely get the job done for sprint training. The best 'normal' treadmill only lets you run 15 sec per 100 meter pace, so let me know if you are having a garage sale!!

Top Top

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wow, up to 30 mph. Now that's what I call a treadmill. I guess that is the benefit of the University environment.

Like Louie said, let me know when you have a garage sale.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW