masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:49 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am 40 and decided to start competing at some Master events mostly to get me back into shape. Hoping smoeone can tell me if i am doing the right things in my training. Living in Ohio it is hard to get any track time out side during the winter so i do my workouts at the Y. I am preparing to run the 60M and 200M at an indoor meet. This is been my training schedule.

5 days a week 30min cardio and weight training

2 days a week (Drills, A,B & C Skip, high knees, lunges, ankleing, Flying 20's due to space inside and coming out of the blocks focasing on driving out and pushing for 15m to 20m with head down.

I have not got any times yet in the 60m or the 200m. my focas has been just to get back into shape to be able to compete. Any advise would be great.

Top Top

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My advice would be to keep doing what you are doing, especially if it is helping you get into shape. Get some training under your belt and then maybe start getting a little more technical about your training. Best advice I can give you is to stay healthy and make sure you enjoy it. Good luck.

Top Top

Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think your training cycle looks good. My only suggestion would be to be sure to include some mobility exercises, especially for hips. If you spent time as a distance runner you are probably very tight and sprinting requires good hip mobility. Good luck. Hope to see you at Indoor Nationals!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Kim, any suggestions or links for hip mobility exercises? That's a problem area for me.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Liz! I find it hard to explain some of these... but I'll describe the ones I do. My coach calls these Eagles but I don't know why. Lying on your back, legs straight, arms out to the side (in a T) move your R leg over to your L hand and then do the reverse. Often when you see people do this they go really fast and I don't think that's the point. The key thing is to keep your back flat on the floor, which forces a good stretch along the hip and oblique. THEN you flip over and do the same thing on your stomach. Kick your L leg over towards your R hand. Again people just go really fast but the key is try to keep your torso flat against the floor and go SLOW and you'll stretch out your hip area.

Also the typical leg swinging you see people do, holding a rail or post and swing leg forward and back then side to side. Keep your torso straight and still and concentrate on loosening up the hip movement, NOT how high you can swing your leg. (I see people do this very sloppy to try to get the leg high.) Concentrate on easy loose movement, not strain or stretch.

Another I don't even think I can describe. My coach calls is World's Greatest. A low lunge position, one leg straight back, front leg bent, hands in front of you inside the bent leg on the floor. Drop your hips towards the floor. Then rotate towards the bent leg bringing that arm up into the air and opening up your whole torso toward that side. You'll feel a good stretch in the hip. Probably I don't explain it well.

Does any of this make sense?? I'll try to find some pictures to post here.

Anyway I'll see if I can come up with some pictures to post here.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

Uh... no... that's wrong. On the third one....

Drop your hips towards the floor. Then rotate your torso AWAY from the bent leg, bringing the top arm up into the air and opening up your whole torso toward that side.

:)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

I get the first two descriptions --if you find a picture of the third you can post or PM me.

Train hard --thanks for the post!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the advice! I have been doing a few drills to strengthen my hips and my core. I run in my first meet on Sunday at the Ohio USATF Indoor meet, so i will find out if i need to work harder! Thanks

Top Top