masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Much emphasis has been put on the weight lifting and little on the benefits of throw,throw, throw !!!! and analizing throws to improve them.

Prime example:-

Shot Put-

Over twenty years ago I was introduced to the O'Brien Shift. I cottoned onto it but never could glide the whole circle, always 18 inches short of the kick board,so started 18 inches from the back. The other problem was lowering my left arm.
I tried multiple different solutions over the years, non worked. Finally just prior to my sojourn to the World Meet in Italy I saw the light !!!!
Now I can start at the back of the circle and glide most of the way to the kick board. Result:- another half meter and my left arm behaved !!!
NO amount of weight lifting could have resolved this, just experiment and throw, throw, throw.

The amusing part of this is that when I got to Italy, suffering from jet lag, injured left foot and a failing heart, I reverted back to my old form, completely forgetting the new technique !!!

Riccione Garry. :wink:

Further,

How many repeats can one do with the snap and jerk? How does it relate to the complete body motion and snap in the javelin which one may do repeatedly? Time spent in the gym could be well spent in the field.

You are not alone, most people disagree with me, adding the condescending comment, "Well if it works for you". Not open minded enough to try it and prove me wrong !!!

Recently I was told that an author wrote a book in which he totally agrees
with me !! Talk about swimming upstream !!!

I love competition !!!!

R G

Top Top