masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi All, I was wondering if someone could direct me to where I could find results from the East Regionals in Landover, MD last Saturday?? Searches have been a bust. Thanks!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Here you go: http://www.pvtc.org/

Some of the results are a little wonky though. They have my time in the 60m as 7.78. I was thrilled for as long as it took to print out the photo finish thingy. The time turned out to be wrong. My real time was 7.98. For some reason some of the results listed are hand times.

Top Top

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Renee,
Thanks for the reply. I know that results are wacky but I haven't even been able to see "official" results from the 400. My husband's time (and he knows what he's doing) was a FULL 2 secs faster than the time I was told 3 hrs after the race. I know the women's 3k (which I did not run) was a total mess. The scoreboard was not functioning during the 400 so I knew something was amiss. Thanks again though for getting back to me.
Coreen

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Renee,
I just checked out the PV link and the 400 I ran in isn't even listed. Guess they're making believe it never happened. Wow, that is frustraing as all get out.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

none of this makes me thrilled that the National Masters will be at this facility next year. While I do not know the nature of the "mess" for the 3k - but I will check with a friend who ran that race, I can guess - 14 competitors- male and female - all on the track at one time with lots of folks getting lapped and confusion reigns supreme, or - no lap clock, no lap counters etc - one or the other - or worse - all! And an apparent inability to get the results straight. Maybe I will sit it out next year - or - certainly not run the 3k. Frankly I am fed up with the inability of masters indoor track meets to run a 3k race properly. And not able to time a 400! not a good omen for next year unless folks there get their act together.

Top Top

Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I agree that it doesn't bode well for Nationals next year especially with so many more people competing. The 3k last Saturday was only women - the men ran separately. The woman who won lapped the field (some more than once) was listed as 3rd overall. They were scrambling to sort it all out. This is reminiscent of the 3k in Boise a few yrs ago when some women ran a lap short and the whole thing became a debacle. They ostensibly "corrected" results via video tape but some people's times were still inaccurate. Our local all comers meets never seem to have these problems!!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

Boise 3k was worse than folks running a lap short - they threw all the women into one heat - age 30-80 something. The clock was turned off after the first competitor finished and was not turned on again. The officials refused to call out splits despite being asked to do so repeatedly -by myself as I was running around the track. Gerri Davidson -then age 80 - was attempting to set an age group record for the 3k and was reduced to using her watch to see what her splits might be. It was a farce.
The rules require lap counters, and recording of lap splits if a record is to be set. The model for how not to do this was in Linz, Austria at the WMA Indoor Meet in 2006 when the lap counters lost track of who was running what, pulled people off the track a lap short, and the lap counters just make check marks next to an athlete's name and did not record any times. A couple of apparent world records had to be disallowed because of this stupidity.
Managing to record the first finisher as third is weird - you would think they could get the first finisher right, it is enough to make me wish I were a sprinter - pretty hard to lose count of one lap.

Top Top

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:58 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Like I said, Runfast, I cannot FATHOM how this can happen in Championship races. Our local track club meets are handled deftly and efficiently in accordance with ALL rules. I had NO idea someone was running for a record in Boise in that 3k. That just breaks my heart. I ran my 400 PR last Saturday and have to rely on my husband's capable timing to trust it! Will you be in Boston? I am going to France for World's and will be in Boston if I'm not too wasted. NEVER had a problem at Reggie Lewis!!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I can totally understand how this can happen. If these are the same people who run the meets, both Master and high school, in the Philadelphia area, they are in serious need of assistance. Two years ago in an outdoor regional at Whitemarsh, I won the 100m in the 40-44 age group. Not only did they have me not winning, they had me third, even after other people they had ahead of me said I won. I also saw the same group almost mess up a 100m high championship. If it were not for an outcry from the stands that everyone clearly saw a different person win, they would have had the wrong winner again.

Top Top

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I had a similar result in a 55 dash at Swarthmore College at a Masters meet about 3 years ago. It was a close finish, but I was pretty sure I won and at worst I got second. The third place runner was given first. The second place runner given fourth. I was given third and some kid none of us even saw during the entire race was given second. Confused yet? The winning time wasn't what I had hoped for, so I resigned the fact that I didn't run well and went about the rest of the meet. I did have my wife time me for the 400 and 200 that day - she got it right (and the officials actually agreed with her for those two races). So, I can emphathize with your frustration, especially if you are racing nearly 2 miles!!

Top Top

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

But why should I have expected anything different. At Haveford, in the 60m they me winning my heat in 6.9, which I believe would have been an american record for the 40-44 bracket at the time. Later, just by watching other heats, I observe the people from my heat getting ready to run again. I raced to the official and asked what was going on. He said the timing malfunctioned during the first heat and we have to re-run. So after no warmup, I win the heat again, and this time they had me in 8.0. And I actually felt I ran faster the second time. Now, I for one minute don't believe I ran 6.9, but I know, and have been time sub 7.5. I guess my point is that we all would just like to know where we stand with respect to our times and performances.

Top Top

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Well, if I ever make it back down to the Main Line or Eastern part of PA, I will be sure to bring my wife along with me - she will gladly time you. You won't get an fully automatic time, but she's decently accurate. She's also a good cheerleader, but she will tell you that you have run well even if you haven't. :lol:

Top Top