masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

I saw something about a Southern California Striders meet on May 24th in Norwalk, Ca but the link to the meet website wasn't working. Have either of you competed at this one before? Is it well attended? Anything you can tell me about it?

I was thinking about grabbing my wife and flying out from Texas for it, as her sister lives near there.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

Haven't competed south of Los Gatos in California, because of religious reasons.

Tom probably has, especially if there is a good wind.

Top Top

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

I lived in Alameda when I was a kid, so I know what you mean. But, then I moved to Texas and changed my religion to Discism. We believe that to find true happiness one must experience track meets in far-off lands.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Only time I was ever in Texas was for the weight pent. champs back in 2005. Really enjoyed the area. Stayed across the street from 6 Flags in Arlington and there were four steak houses in less than a block.

I live in San Mateo.

Top Top

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was at that one. That's where I met your brother. I wonder how I missed meeting you?

That was my first WP. I began the day with 3 sector fouls in the hammer. I would have paid good money for a piece of shade later on in the afternoon.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

That was the second time I had ever touched a hammer. foul, 70 foot one turn throw and fell on the third. I was in the 55-59.

We bought a cheap tent for the meet and ended up having the officials camp out. Because of GetUp, we had a support team there for us.

For the rest of our master's, I had never thrown the weight, hammer or javelin before May of 2005. I took up the discus the year before, so anyways, I made the world list last year in the weight and just missed in the hammer. Classic, too dumb to quit.

Top Top

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hadabetter wrote:
I saw something about a Southern California Striders meet on May 24th in Norwalk, Ca but the link to the meet website wasn't working. Have either of you competed at this one before? Is it well attended? Anything you can tell me about it?

Hi, I've posted a flier with all the meet info:
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2008/striders08.doc

And here's a PDF of the entry form:
http://www.scstriders.org/Forms/SCS_Mee ... 5B1%5D.pdf

(I happen to be a new member of the Southern California Striders.)

Their Web site is here:
http://www.scstriders.org/

And to answer your question: Yes, it's a very well organized meet and one of the highlights of the SoCal masters circuit. I've been to this meet many times. It's been at Long Beach State in the past, but Cerritos College is probably a better venue for sprints. Faster track.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I competed in the meet years ago and had a good time. The meet was well run and had plenty of competition. Another great meet on the west coast is the Hayward Classic. People in Eugene know how to host a track meet!

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top