masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am just curious as to what it takes to make a USA relay team at the Masters World Championships. Is there clear-cut criteria or is it just up to whomever is around and wants to run? Actually medalling in an individual event might be a stretch of my God-given abilities, but I think I could make the finals (or come darn close) in the 200 and/or the 400, indoors or outdoors. I might not make it out of the semis in the 60 or 100, unless I can get a tailwind specific to my heat and lane :wink: I really enjoy running on the relays when I get a chance to at the couple of national meets I have run. I am trying to look ahead to Kamloops and Sac State in hopes of making one or both of them. Being able to compete in one or two relays would add to the trip immensely. Thanks for any insight.

Top Top

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

Louie,

Recipe for making a relay team at worlds:

1. Be among the fastest athletes in your age group in an event similar to that being contested in the relay.

2. Let the USA team manager know of your availability.

3. Don't get injured.

The world masters outdoor championships is a loooong meet, and the makeup of relay teams isn't really known until almost the last minute. You might think that you're not being considered, but think again.

Sometimes, someone like Bill Collins or Phil Raschker might move down an age group or two to make that younger age group more competitive.

Sometimes, a stud "ahead" of you decides to pack it in early and go play tourist (especially if a spouse is involved).

Sometimes, only four ambulatory runners remain in your age group -- and you're one of them!

But it's all up to the team manager.

So the key is: Read the daily announcements posted by your team manager, and show up at team meetings the last few days of the meet.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Pretty much the same for the Brits, where we run a process of "peer selection" in which the team selects the runners from those who declare their availability at the meet, and can remember to turn up for the selection gathering a couple of days before the relays. The team also selects running order, subject to advice and final clearance by the team manager. We also have give priority to those who have actually been doing relevant sprints at the championships too.

There have been times when I have felt aggrieved that major championships limit teams to one per nation. I was a finalist in the European M50 100m in 2006, but still didn't make the sprint relay squad, as there were four faster GB guys in contention. We'd have had enough athletes for a "B" team, and there were spare lanes on the track. However, I suspect that allowing more than one team could create races packed with B, C D and E teams from the home nation!

England

Top Top

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the info!! I will do my best to be one of the four fastest, healthy, available runners when I get to the Worlds.

Top Top

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Good luck Dan. Kick some @$$!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:28 am

Master Masters Athlete

In my country it is simple: during the Worlds or Europeans athletes are asked whether they stay until the last day and if they are willing to run a relay. Often there is no team at all. Or a team contains different age groups and one hopes that the youngest is not too much younger than the oldest. I personally never ran a relay, but well, I don't like relays....

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

weia wrote:
but well, I don't like relays....

When I was in high school, some meets conducted high jump relays (and also pole vault) -- in which the marks of a school's top four jumpers are added up to decide a winning team.

I'll bet Weia would go for that kind of relay!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

;-))))

Top Top
  Profile WWW