masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

Due to the number of people that have been asking me questions about training I decided to make some video's on the most important exercises for javelin throwers - in my opinion. These are the first two:

The Jump Squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUN1C7V3B0

The Dumbell Pullover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKtdkXUJ_sc

I would like to point out that I am one week shy of my 46th birthday and I have yet to have a single surgery - on any part of my being. No shoulder, elbow, back or knees. I also have Spina Bifida. I have been competitng for 35 years, had over 600 competitions, been in two Olympics, was the first person to break the 80m barrier with the new javelin in 1986 and am now the new World Age Group Record Holder (45 -49 ) with a throw of 71.75m.

I have made it a life long persuit to work around my weakness. My javelin technique is specifically designed to reduced the strain on my back. The rotational focus of my style of throwing also is aimed at over coming my lack of hieght and leg speed through efficient sequencing of torqing and untorqing the body.

The first video shows a modified jump squat: My belief is that the height of the jump does not matter. If you leave the ground, you must have fully extented the hips and knees and if that is the case the fast twitch muscle fibers must have been utlized. Also, I believe, the weight bearing pressure on the back is helpful in maintaining a strong spine - right?

The second video shows a dumbell pullover. I believe this is the single best exersie for a javelin thrower and an excellent exercise for any athlete. Swimming, stretching and medicine balls throwing are other key elements of a well balanced program. But the key upper body resistance exercise for any javelin thrower or baseball picher is the Pullover - right?

Thoughts anyone.

cheers

Roald Bradstock

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You are a pure stud!! Thanks for sharing your videos - which are excellently done I might add. I am not a jav thrower, but I am anxious to try the jump squat to help with explosion. Rock on Roald!!

Top Top

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ryan Vierra of HG fame does the jumps with a trap or shrug bar.
Put the weight up on six inch blocks, then jump the same way.

Nice thing, you can let go if you get in trouble.

Top Top

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:22 am

roald62,

I'll be 69 next month and improving all the time. Obviously your Jump Squat is for me. Thanks. Thing is, where do I start? How many kg?

Top Top