masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Which of the following should you put in as your seed time for your first meet of the year in that event?
NM/NT- first time competing that year so you have nothing to put in 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Best mark from the previous season 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Best mark from the previous 3 seasons 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Best mark during time in that age group- AGPR (age group PR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All-time PR 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Put in a time/mark that you believe you are capable of 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

So, curious what the appropriate seed time or mark is to enter when you don't have directions what to use. I'm currently registering for several meets and none of them have any directions for what to use as a seed time. Using ideas I saw on various posts on blog entries for the options. Would be good to know what the ethical/appropriate thing to do is as I'm a newbie at masters track.

Sounds like NT/NM has some support from several athletes but for those who are meet directors, that can make things difficult to seed heats appropriately. :?

Top Top

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

After seeing far too many bogus seed times and marks, I have decided to only put down what I have achieved in the immediate past season. If I haven't done the event, I'll put down a NM. Putting down a PR that you have achieved years ago and haven't touched since then only makes you look like a fool. There are several people who are notorious for inflating their marks and times. The rest of us just roll our eyes, kinda like this :roll:

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue May 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

The idea of seeding is to put you in the proper place on the track, but you know everybody goes the same distance anyhow. As a meet director, I feel a certain pride when I get a nice V going down the middle of the track or to have several people battling it out down the stretch of a distance race. Sometimes that has involved reading past the seed times, a pile of N.T.s and even asking the athletes. Sometimes it just has to be based on looking at the guy in an old gray sweatsuit. Does he look that fast? Still I have gotten people who run seconds off their seed time in a short sprint and tens of seconds in races as short as the 400. Field events, when conducted to the rules (which we abridge for expediency in Masters) automatically sort themselves out so nobody gets a strategic advantage by lying. Lying to get a better position in a running race just increases your embarrassment by amongst the people you should consider your peers (or friends). Elite (Open) meets, particularly Nationals, go through extra verification. They don't take the athlete or coach's word to let somebody into the Olympic Trials. I've been questioned as to the specific circumstances of races I have hosted, when superior marks were posted. I haven't gotten to do Masters Nationals. We are not as sophisticated. Even though we register about a month in advance (as opposed to hours or days as is the case at the elite level) we can't seem to do the research to verify our marks or the quality of the circumstances. OK, our numbers overwhelm our small underpaid staff. Its entirely done on computer its only source of information is what is submitted by the athletes.

Top Top
  Profile WWW