masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I know I've heard the answer before somewhere, but I'm tired and I can't remember....

If I were to enter the 100 and only 7 competitors show up, would a heat be run at the time of prelims and be considered the final, or would everyone come back at the time scheduled for the finals and run then? I guess I'd like to know what they've done at Nationals in the past, as I'm sure some of the older age groups did not have more than one heat.

Thanks

Top Top

Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Unless masters track goes by an entirely different procedure than all other levels of track and field (high school, Olympics, youth track, everything else in between), then you would just run the final on the original date at the original time slot (sometimes the actual time changes because of the elimination of heats for other events, etc.) for the final.

The final time schedule (after they get all entries, etc.) will reflect this so that the 100 will have no preliminary heats.

Hope this helps...

Top Top

Tue May 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I concur with Mellow, with the added caveat that you still MUST declare for your event as if a prelims were being held.

Some folks, thinking that only a finals will be run, wait till the last moment to declare and learn that they were supposed to have declared for the prelims or semifinals. Then they are S out of luck.

Play it safe, and jump through all hoops specified in meet info.

(You can have someone sign in for U though.)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Guys!

Top Top

Tue May 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Seven is an easier number, it is obvious only one race is called for. Lets say 10 enter. You must go through the formality to declare, show up, check in, warm up and wait to see if 8 or 9 (depending on the number of lanes available) competitors show up. If less than the number of lanes do check in, then you get to rest and wonder why you warmed up. In some events, you have to show up an extra day or two in advance to be there in case there is a prelim--plan ahead and follow the rules, even if you know there won't be any prelim.

Top Top
  Profile WWW