masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue May 13, 2008 11:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

Just curious. I started thinking about longevity in terms of how long an athlete can be competitive. I have seen many older athletes at track meets - not even unusual to have a real race in the M90 category. I know quite a few women sprinters in their 70's and 80's.

I know there's sometimes one or two older competitors in road races - but I don't think it's as common as on the track.

Has anyone ever studied this? It would seem that "our" [track athlete] training is harder but maybe the variety of our workouts supports longevity more than the constant repetitive pounding of road runners.

Perhaps the dilution of older age groups at road races is what makes the difference, track meets are fewer and farther between.

Any thoughts?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think the road racers die of boredom.

Top Top

Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

HA HA. Or, like me, they come to their senses and become track atheletes.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed May 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

This article might give some food for thought to explain your observations:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... itch2.html

Quote:
"Chronic high-level training naturally depletes glycogen, which causes the body to release the adrenal hormone cortisol to cannibalize muscle tissue in order to help make new glucose (gluconeogenesis). Besides tearing down valuable muscle, chronic cortisol release carries with it a litany of negative effects. It suppresses immune function, which opens the door not only for short term upper respiratory infections, but may leave the door open for longer term, more serious issues (asthma, cancer, heart disease [which we know has a strong inflammatory component]). Chronic cortisol release also reduces calcium uptake by bones, and it's not surprising that so many runner/triathletes -- especially women -- have low bone density. Anti-aging experts will tell you that among elderly, low bone density is a pretty accurate predictor of mortality. Break a hip bone when you're older and your chances of dying skyrocket.
[...]
The benefits of true low level activity are many: We develop an extensive capillary network to bring fatty-acid fuel to each and every muscle cell, we up-regulate the production of fat-mobilizing and fat-burning enzymes which take fat out of storage and present it to the mitochondria for combustion, we improve cardiac muscle efficiency and cardiac capacity and we increase natural internal antioxidant levels. As for the ATP-based system, intermittent heavy loads do increase muscle mass very effectively, also stimulating growth hormone release, as well as improving insulin sensitivity and promoting bone density."

Top Top

Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

I don't believe that. It sounds scientific but it isn't.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu May 15, 2008 6:12 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Quote:
As for the ATP-based system, intermittent heavy loads do increase muscle mass very effectively, also stimulating growth hormone release, as well as improving insulin sensitivity and promoting bone density.

This last sentence, I believe, is the key. Intensity is known to stimulate neuro-endocrine responses that promote muscle mass, fat burning, bone formation and so allows us to keep a more youthful physiology. See, for instance, Tom Fahey's posting in this forum on testosterone production and exercise. In addition to intensity, sprinters and jumpers and throwers vary their exercise more than distance runners who focus on long runs, thus contributing what might be termed a well-rounded exercise stimulus. Endurance fitness is not the only type of fitness, and may not be the best measure of fitness.

For more on any of this, consult any recent exercise physiology text.

Cheers!
Bill

Top Top

Thu May 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Phil Campbell argued for high-intensity training as far back as 2002.

Check my book review:
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2002/ne ... rch26.html

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I suspect that a lot of road runners suffer from connective tissue injuries that become chronic and eventually gets them. Knees and hips also go from too much pounding.

Training with more intensity over shorter periods seems to bring the "battle" back to the belly of the muscles, as opposed to the connective tissues or bones.

My guess is that it's healthiest to mix it up - cross train, but have a good mix of decent zone 1/2 cardio some of the time and then mix in weight training, intervals, that kind of thing.

From what I can tell, many road runners can get into a rut with the number of miles per week they run, when that might not be the best strategy for running a strong 5k. I also see a lot of road runners aiming for marathons, which I don't really understand, except for bragging rights. Marathons really seem to beat the snot out of your body - at least it did mine. I'll maybe run one 5k a year, now and keep the rest in the 400m-1 mile zone. But, I'm built more like a sprinter, so all this might be my rationalization.

Top Top

Mon May 19, 2008 10:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Purely anecdotal, but I also think distance runners don't always traing very wisely. Often at the track I'll see a runner - mind you this is 6 AM in Maine - probably 40-50 degrees tops.

They get out of the car. Walk to the track. One quick quad stretch right leg - one quick quad stretch left leg - there I'm warmed up. And off they go doing their intervals. Hurts just to watch.

Top Top
  Profile WWW