masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:42 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Can anyone guesstimate start time for Men's 400 trials at Nationals 8/7/08 as I plan travel to Spokane? Thanks

Top Top

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It would be nice if the meet organizers could be more specific about event start times. Travel is more expensive than usual this year. The vague schedule could pose a problem for masters on a budget. I understand that schedule depends on event entries, but they should try to come up with a ballpark estimation.

Top Top

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tom, I agree in principle, however as someone who organizes meets, it can be extremely difficult to even do that without potentially misleading athletes and causing even more heartburn. If more entries come in than "normally" do in an event (on the track even one event can do it) it can throw the entire schedule off even if they've only indicated "morning" or "afternoon" on a preliminary schedule. If someone makes travel plans based on that and plans to leave in the afternoon when their event is down for the morning and then it has to be shifted to the afternoon because they had to add an additional flight in a throwing or jumping event the vitriol thrown at the meet organizers and the Games Committee on this site and elsewhere would be very strong. Better to only indicate the day until they can be more precise and not potentially mislead. This way we all protect ourselves by potentially coming in a day early and staying an extra night. I know the costs are not insignificant to many, but the potential for even worse results (people making plans that have them leaving before their event actually takes place) are too great to take the risk -- at least that is my understanding from talking about this with members of the Games Committee and it is also the "rule" I'm following in my work on the LOC for next March's Indoor Championships.

Jerry

Top Top

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree, Jerry. Lack of information is in reality better than having the "wrong" information.

Even if times they posted were listed as "tentative," if they were to change significantly from that, you'd have a riot on your hands with people missing events or flights. Now, I guess people just plan for the whole day more or less then when it's final, you know.

Top Top