masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hello All:

I'm about to buy a pair of spikes for the first time since the 70s and I have a question about sizing. I will use mail order because the local running shoe shops don't stock much of a selection in spikes so I won't get to try them on.

Asics fit my foot better than any other brand (at least for regular running shoes) so my guess is that I should buy Asics spikes. The Japan Lite-Ning 2 looks pretty flashy.

Question: If I wear a 10 in regular endurance shoes what should I order for spikes? 10? 9 1/2? 9? Buy 3 sizes and send two back?

Sorry if this is trivial or common knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Top Top

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am

My experience has been that each shoe manufacturer sizes a little differently. I recently ordered a pair of lite-ning 2s and found them to run about a 1/2 size large........just what I wanted since my feet are less and less able to tolerate tight shoes. Anyway, that was my experience and yours may be different. You might be better off by shopping the "outlet" section of a catalog site such as Eastbay for some inexpensive closeouts. They are still very good shoes.....just last years models. Good luck.

Top Top

Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for the input Roger! I just spoke with a guy at Roadrunner and he (reading from a script) told me that Asics are sized such that you should get the same size for track or road shoes. I suppose that means the the track are somewhat smaller than the road for the same numbered size.

Thanks,

Jim

Roger Parnell wrote:
I recently ordered a pair of lite-ning 2s and found them to run about a 1/2 size large........just what I wanted since my feet are less and less able to tolerate tight shoes. Anyway, that was my experience and yours may be different. You might be better off by shopping the "outlet" section of a catalog site such as Eastbay for some inexpensive closeouts. They are still very good shoes.....just last years models. Good luck.

Top Top

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I bought a pair of Ascics Lite-ning spikes last year 1/2 size smaller than my road shoes and thay fit like a glove. I should state that I don't wear socks when I race, so if you do you might want to order a pair same size as road shoes. My 2 cents.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed May 26, 2010 10:26 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm using right now an Asics Gel Kayano 16. The lacing of this shoe is awesome for me. It's the reason I like the 16s better than the 14s. Well, I have a ten in foot and I wear the same size for more comfortable wearing.

Top Top