masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

...an event that is. Maybe I'm just whining. This is an unanswerable question - but would like to hear your input. I've run my worst 400 times this year since I started sprinting. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My other events are in line with my past 2 years.

When/how do you decide you stink at a distance and give it up. Ironically I've tried to work on that distance this year and have only made it worse.

Thoughts?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:31 am

Master Masters Athlete

IMO, once it stops being fun. I gave up on trying to be good at the 800 not because I think I'd actually be better at it than other distances, but primarily because the training part stopped being fun. I'm not quite as good at 200/400 but I have a lot more fun with those distances. They're just plain fun to run for me. Success is a large part if the fun factor, but again, the key is fun. :lol:

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Last edited by BMo on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with BMo. The other thing to do is to try races above and below in distance and see where your times fall in line. Perhaps you are naturally better at a different distance but don't know it yet. Or, perhaps you have been doing all the right training but just haven't put together a good race.

Top Top

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 am

Master Masters Athlete

BMo and bowleggedlouie hit the nail on the head. This is my first year getting back into competitive track and field since college and I'm realizing it's a lot of money, time, and energy. But, it's fun. Without that, it certainly wouldn't be worth it. So, if one event isn't fun anymore (due to not performing as well as you'd hoped or for whatever reason(s)), I'd suggest doing the events that are still fun for you.

Top Top

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You might try racing above that distance, and then below that distance.

Race one meet at the 800 meter distance, then the next meet, run the 200 meters, then go back and try the 400 meters again.

Also try to mix up your workouts. Try running ladders with negative splits.
200 - 300 - 400 - 500 - 400 - 300 - 200.
The second part of the ladder when you are decreasing the distance should run faster than the first part. The last 200 should be all out.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

My two cents worth would be, in part to do what you are able to do and what is fun, When in high school and college some 20+ years ago, I did a slew of different events. at one point at a meet 4 or 5 years ago, I figured, let me do the 400 hurdles, as I used to do that in HS and college, Well after warming up and practing the event. I realized that I wasn't comfortable doing, so I scratched out of the 400 hurdles ( and would up going home doing no events) and realized at my age and the amount of time and training that I do, I can't do the hurdles anymore.

But that doesn't stop me from doing other events ( such as the long Jump and the steeplechase)

Remember, that it should be fun...

Top Top

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with the fun argument. I also say it to youth: when you are not absolute top class, do not bother whether you choose your very best event, but do what you like most. In running my best distance certainly not is in the sprints, but when running I do sprints. I am throwing because I like to learn those complicated movements, not because I am a typical thrower, I am not at all. Only the high jump I do because my body is best for that.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Now that I am older, I don't look to hitting a new PR or winning a race for my satisfaction.
I look to how much effort I put forth through the whole race.
If I win that is great and I feel good, if I hit a new PR, that is also good.
But I am now only happy in my race if I know I gave it my all through the whole race, not just the start, or just the finish, but the whole race, if it leads to a win or a PR great that is frosting on the cake.
This way I can take in to consideration, my conditioning and slight injuries, the weather, my mental outlook and the like into how I did in my race providing that I gave it my best taking those things into consideration.

When I was in college, I used to put too much pressure on myself, and I guess because of the fear of failure there were many races that I didn't perform to what I think I should have, and I would be disappointed. I think if I had the attitude I have now, though I would have still had the jitters before the races, and some disappointment if I lost, I think I could have raced better, concentrating on myself and my effort I was putting forth, over winning being the only goal of a race.

So I guess what I am saying is that you might think that you stink at the 400 right now, besides looking for a race you might perform better in, you might try to be satisfied with the effort you put forth in your race over whether you win every race or hit a PR every time.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yes, you should definitely quit. You're all washed up and you probably didn't have much talent in the first place. You just don't have what it takes any more.

There! Did that motivate you? Now get out there and give all you've got!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:46 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I also you think that you should be happy to get out and compete. I know I mentioned in earlier posts how there aren't many local meets (at least for me) unless you attempt to compete in college meets or travel hundreds of miles. Sure I have gotten a little frustrated. for example at the last meet when maybe my best Long Jump in years was a foul by 1/2 of an inch. and I know that it may be weeks or months before I get to compete in that event again.

I have also talked to several people at meets who would travel for hours to go meets, so that is dedication !!

But that makes me want to comeback and continue to do it.
In an earlier post here, I do know as I get older, I have some limitations as I did many events in HS and College and can not do them all now (400 i hurdles).but I focus on the ones that I can do, and have fun with it.

:)

Top Top