masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

If someone was going to get serious about competing in masters track... is it safe to assume the travel will be awful? It just seems to me there is only a handful of meets - and in order to get a decent amount of competitions you would have to be very open to laying down some serious mileage.

Top Top

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I guess it all depends on what your definition of "awful" is and also what "serious" means. I've gotten back into it this year and taken it semi-serious (have to have some fun with it, too, or it's just not worth it) and it's been okay. For 4 meets over a 5 week stretch which will include Spokane, I will have logged 300 miles, 700 miles, 250 miles, and 800 miles round trip to those meets and driving to all of them. So, it's quite a bit of travel.

Not sure I'd say awful but it could be if you were coming from the East Coast for Nats. However, it might be closer to other meets...

Top Top

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

Even if you're of masters age (35 and over), you can still find lots of meets close to home. Just be creative. Call the track office of your nearest college and ask about any open meets (in which you pay your own entry fee and take a lane).

Don't be shy. Masters enter college open meets and "invitationals" all the time!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

Agree with what Ken said about college meets as that's what I did in the spring. Problem was it dragged out the season a bit longer than I'd wanted and we'll see how much is left in the tank at Nats.

And, with Nationals being in early August, if you don't want 2 1/2 -3 months off between meets (since most college meets that are open to masters competitors are done by mid-May), then be prepared to travel a bit in June and July.

With Nationals being a month earlier next year, it will make the college meets a better fit for a training/racing schedule leading to Nats.

Top Top

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I throw the discus in many college and open meets (I'm 60 years old). I threw the 2 kg discus until this season. The meet directors took pity on me and let me throw the lighter implements. However, next season I'm going back to the 2K, at least for the early part of the season, to build strength and fitness for Finland. Most coaches, at least in smaller meets, are very open to letting masters compete.

You can also have personal or postal competitions. Run personal competitions just like a real meet. If you're a thrower or jumper, have a set time between trials. Run postal competitions the same way, except that several athletes are doing the same thing and then comparing results by email.

Personal competitions don't have to be in traditional events. Other events include overhead shot throws, Atlas stone throws, 40 meter hop on one leg,and left handed throws (right handed throws for lefties).

Get in touch with your inner track meet.

Top Top