masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:46 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Greetings to everyone!

I was hoping some here who have been in the same position (or remotely close) that I am currently in could provide some advise from experience and/or information by way of historical retrospect.

I have decided to join a local track club in my city, primarily to get into shape and regain some youthful vigor and fitness - but also with the intention to compete in Masters competitions (when I come of age, I am 33 currently).

My question is this:

Understanding there are many variables and multitudinous differences between individuals and their respective situations, what can I generally expect with regards to potential times for sprints?

I will provide you with some information to allow you to, if you are willing, provide a better answer. I ran track from the age of 11 to the age of 14. I had always been "fast" relative to other kids but did not focus on athletics as a sport until the above age indicated. When I turned 15 I quit track to focus on Rugby, Soccer, and Football. But in grade 11, at the age of 17, I decided to try High School track and compete for my school. Without any focused sprint training I ran an 11.02 in the 100m and, while not running the individual event, ran a 50.50 in an anchor leg of the 4x400. I was also a LJ, TJ athlete, jumping 6.30 and 14.00. I did not compete in grade 12 and have not ran track since. I have always, however, had a love for the sport, remain a lifelong fan, and follow the yearly international & national competitions.

Back then I was 6'0" and about 175lbs with no real upper body strength to boast of. Now I am 6'2" and 225lbs with considerably more upper body strength due to weight-lifting, but with some extra weight due to a lack of focused and consistent cardio-training. Alright, and some donut and Pringle eating also. :)

I plan to train for the sprints again, and would like to do jumps as well. So, to re-iterate my previous question (with a supplement):

From anyone who may have been in a similar situation, or from anyone who can speak with some knowledge on this, what can I generally expect with regards to potential times for sprints and lengths for jumps (once I reach a track-specific level of fitness)?

Thanks!

Top Top

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

TheTransporter wrote:
... but also with the intention to compete in Masters competitions (when I come of age, I am 33 currently).

Good news is that you already are of age and can compete as a sub-master. Even the WMA regional meet in Clermont, FL is accepting sub-master competitors.

From what I've seen, only the WMA championship meet is still limited to those 35 and older (bummer since I'll turn 35 two months after it's held in Sacto in 2011).

Top Top

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Hey, thanks mellow...I did not know that was an option.

Sorry to hear you'll miss 2011 by two months.

Top Top

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My thought is with some good training and some weight loss you ought to be able to get into the low 11s for the 100 and low 50s for the 400. My PRs at 13 yo were 11.3, 53.5, 4:53 (mile) then I quit. I'm now 40, in my 2nd year of masters running and my PRs are listed below. I've also been able to drop 20# and am 6'2" and 180# now.
My 2 cents

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

At over 6 feet and 100kg have you considered throws? Maybe pick up discus or hammer? With your speed and some training you may be quite good. Seems like 100 kg is a bit much to push around a track.

Good luck in any case,

"why run when you can walk - then throw......."

Top Top

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:45 am

Senior Masters Athlete

BMo wrote:
My thought is with some good training and some weight loss you ought to be able to get into the low 11s for the 100 and low 50s for the 400. My PRs at 13 yo were 11.3, 53.5, 4:53 (mile) then I quit. I'm now 40, in my 2nd year of masters running and my PRs are listed below. I've also been able to drop 20# and am 6'2" and 180# now.
My 2 cents

Good stuff BMo, thanks! Good PRs for a 13yo by the way...and now for a 40yo.

I am not sure what I would look like 45lbs lighter. Body types are different of course. I am not sure if I could afford to lose that much weight. Then again, maybe I am just in denial regarding how "chubby" I really am. :D I guess time will tell as I train and approach a more reasonable level of fitness.

Thanks again!

Top Top

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:04 am

Senior Masters Athlete

phxdoc wrote:
Seems like 100 kg is a bit much to push around a track.

:)

That's hilarious. Sounds like my wife's recent half-in-jest, half-in-truth, objections to my track "comeback". The whole idea, of course, is to shed the unnecessary weight that hinders so that I will be able to, with the requisite ease, push my aging body around the track. But if it becomes obvious that the sprints are not the way to go, perhaps I will pick up some of the throwing weapons - I do have respect for the throws, and the athletes who compete in them.

Thanks phxdoc...for your candor.

Top Top

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Best of luck with training, Transporter. I suspect that once you feel the thrill of self-propelled high-speed travel, you'll be hooked again! Have fun and AVOID INJURY! The ol' bod' aint what it used to be.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top